Huge 1,111 Carat Gem Quality Diamond Found, Second Largest Ever

"Lucara Diamond Corp. said it recovered a gigantic 1,111-carat, gem-quality diamond from its Karowe mine in Botswana this week. To put that in perspective, it is believed to be the second-largest gem-quality stone ever found. The only one known to be bigger is the legendary Cullinan diamond, which was recovered in South Africa in 1905 and weighed 3,106.75 carats."

Full story at http://business.financialpost.com/news/mining/canadian-miner-lucara-uncovers-1111-carat-diamond-believed-to-be-second-largest-ever-found

post-1-0-92730800-1447945811_thumb.jpeg

This last Saturday we attended the Lake George Gem and Mineral Club meeting where Richard Frettered and his partner Jean Cowman spoke about how they found through research from numerous sources a topaz source and filing a mining claim where a number of peachy colored topaz gems ( which are rare ) were recovered. The largest was 3,634 carats and faceted into a 1,345 carat gem. Here is a link for more information:

http://ganoksin.com/blog/tucsongemshow/2014/03/13/tucsongemshow-master-cutter-and-a-prospector-on-the-weather-channel-display-record-topaz-in-tucson

post-511-0-03700500-1447950114_thumb.png

• Like 3

I was wondering about that myself Fred? All them inclusions and cracks in that huge diamond? I sure wouldn't want it !  I thought the valuable stones were sposed to be as flawless and clear as possible to be worth lots of money, or so I have always been told. I sure do like that Topaz tho !!

I was wondering about that myself Fred? All them inclusions and cracks in that huge diamond? I sure wouldn't want it !  I thought the valuable stones were sposed to be as flawless and clear as possible to be worth lots of money, or so I have always been told. I sure do like that Topaz tho !!

You just think you are seeing cracks and inclusions because you are looking at the exterior of a diamond in the rough Tom. The diamond is classified as a "IIa," which means it has almost no impurities.

my wife was telling our friend a story about some ceramic art I was working on when I walked into the kitchen at the studio and showed her the picture of that giant rock, as soon as her eyes hit on it she was struck speechless for a few seconds while mentally calculating how she could fit it onto her finger in a ring. I told her not to worry, if that one wouldn't work out they found two more just a little bit smaller, for a second i thought this just might be trouble... luckily she was able to regain her composure.