XP DEUS Goes High Frequency?

Steve Herschbach

Very interesting. The DEUS I figured. CTX I might have guessed. But the AT Pro surprised me a bit. It is very popular here with coin and relic hunters, no doubt about that. I just did not realize it was so popular elsewhere. Bang for the buck the AT really is an excellent all around performer and being weatherproof it is sort of a "CTX Lite".

Not only is the DEUS superb at pulling non-ferrous out of ferrous but it is light and let's face it, cool in a high tech way. The CTX does ferrous well but does it slowly. And very often it does come down to covering ground quickly and efficiently, whereas the CTX rewards slow and methodical.

I will fess up to something. My CTX is for sale figuring it has been over three years since release and sooner or later we are going to see a CTX 4040 or whatever. NO, I have no inside knowledge of this!! But I certainly have plenty of other machines to occupy my time while waiting. What the CTX needs more than anything is a processor upgrade to improve things on the speed side, and a long overdue upgrade in the screen quality. I used to count weight as a needed improvement but frankly after swinging the GPZ all summer the CTX feels featherweight.

Steve`s European detector article also points out another important plus for the Deus over the CTX, single frequency, I use nearly exclusively 4Khz, and with the 9" coil it has a depth advantage over the CTX with its 11" coil. Not knocking ML just my take, be a different story I suspect if I did salt beaches. But its lightness and compactness really gives it the edge, cannot comment too much on its discrimination as dig all non-ferrous, discrimination of Pb, Al etc take out our lovely 1/2 sovereign.

Thats a very interesting post, thanks for sharing, I can not really help regarding the Nugget hunting and iron stone, the engineers at XP with have a better knowledge than me, although I appreciate it's way different from the ground we have here in the UK and Europe, hopefully in the new year we can visit some different countries and demonstrate the new version 4.

I know during the development of this upgrade special attention has been made to work with bad ground and the ability to detect small Gold.
You guys are the experts and we always appreciate your feedback.

Im really looking forward to this new version 4 and the coil!

post-168-0-20245300-1449584839_thumb.jpg

"What the CTX needs more than anything is a processor upgrade to improve things on the speed side, and a long overdue upgrade in the screen quality."

Second that processor upgrade, and add that to the next GPZ also!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, V4 was supposed to happen in first half 2016 but now this posted by Gary "We have suggested late summer, but it may be longer depending on testing and results."

And if the release of v3 is anything to go by it could even be longer.

At one time Tesoro's where the machines to find the hammered coins but when the XP Goldmaxx Power hit the shops about 7 out of 10 people on any field had them and when I was using a sovereign GT I use to pick a spot where they weren't and when the Deus came out those XP users up graded to the Deus, Over here in Iron infested sites I don't think there is anything better judging from other peoples success, It is not a machine I would want to go up against, with the CTX/Etrac's not a problem but not the Deus.

john

I am not that impressed by the Deus myself and I think it is rather overrated in my opinion. I am not saying it is not a great detector, but it is not God's gift to metal detecting either. It is a great "beep/dig" machine but for park detecting no better than many others. Target id accuracy is nowhere close to a CTX. Maybe everyone in the UK uses it, but last club meeting here I went to, I was pretty shocked that not one person out of the over 100 present raised their hand when I asked if anyone used a Deus.

I have no inside information to support this, but my guess is Nokta is gunning for XP by making a machine with similar performance but in a traditional package at a far lower price. I have said before I would prefer such a detector, with a wide range of plug in $179 coils instead of a few $500 coils. Should be very easy for Nokta to do from what I have seen from the FORS/Racers and at literally half the price of the Deus.

Long story short I would have no problem going head to head with the average hunter using a Deus and my choice of something else. It may be good but it is no magic wand. Not enough so that I can't use sneaky Stevie tricks to get the edge. Now a real Deus pro, that would be another matter, but real detecting pros are few and far between.