Got a New Toy - Nokta Fors Gold+

I was happy to have a new toy arrive today, the Fors Gold+! :D

Hopefully I will have some time next week and give it a whirl. Here's a few pics just to get folks excited who have been waiting. I'll post a few updates once I've had some hours behind it.

post-152-0-05447500-1447985787_thumb.jpgpost-152-0-69308900-1447985787_thumb.jpgpost-152-0-34999600-1447985788_thumb.jpgpost-152-0-92083700-1447985788_thumb.jpgpost-152-0-60313100-1447985789_thumb.jpgpost-152-0-30051300-1447985797_thumb.jpgpost-152-0-00762300-1447986104_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I was happy to have a new toy arrive today, the Fors Gold+! :D

Hopefully I will have some time next week and give it a whirl.

I trust you have some huntable-weather sites lined up.  'Thank You' for the post and looking forward to your updates from the field.  Two days ago it snowed where I was planning to head next week for some nugget shooting and relic hunting here in Eastern Oregon.  :(  I might be forced to plan a winter trip southward now. :D

Best of success to you.

Monte

• Like 1

Are the Nokta Fors Core and Gold machines multi purpose, ie. coins, relics and gold?  I'm constantly asked by newbies which machine should they buy and most want the more inexpensive machines.  Many have been happy with the Gold Bug Pro or Gold Bug 2 for gold at least.

The FORS CoRe and FORS Gold are both multi-purpose machines, and except for minors differences are basically the same machine. A detailed explanation of the difference can be found at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/531-difference-between-nokta-fors-gold-and-fors-core/In a nutshell the CoRe has a dedicated salt beach mode the Gold lacks, and the Gold has a monotone discrimination mode tweaked for nugget hunting that the CoRe lacks. I think both can find gold nuggets as well so chose the CoRe myself for being a bit more versatile.

The FORS Gold+ takes another step in moving the FORS Gold into being more of a prospecting detector by bumping the frequency for 15 khz to 19 khz and making the popular 10" x 5.5" DD the stock coil. The three tone "coin mode" on the other two models was dropped in favor of another two tone disc mode tweaked for miniaturized ground. The FORS Gold+ is very much aimed at the Gold Bug Pro but with a bunch of extra features at a very attractive price. The chart below shows the Gold Bug Pro dual coil package so the comparison is apples to apples.

post-1-0-11088900-1448128510_thumb.jpg

In my opinion the Nokta and Makro machines share a common characteristic with the XP DEUS. The most valid complaint I have seen leveled against all these machines for multi-purpose is that they do not do well at differentiating between different types of non-ferrous targets, and they tend to issue more false positives on ferrous targets. This is part and parcel of what they really excel at, which is simply finding all non-ferrous targets possible. Classic coin detectors are generally designed to eliminate trash and to also let people cherry pick target categories. This has left many non-ferrous items in the ground however and the European manufacturers are exploiting this weakness to make machines that excel and finding non-ferrous stuff in the midst of ferrous trash, the classic target audience being the European hunters and U.S. relic or "celler hole" hunters. And it just so happens these types of machines are just what a nugget hunter wants also and so these companies are going after the prospecting market.

Long explanation for simple summary. If the person you are advising simply wants to dig all non-ferrous targets, machines made by Nokta, Makro, Tesoro, and XP excel at this task. If the person really hates digging any trash at all and wants to focus on coins only, then machines made by First Texas, Garrett, Minelab, and White's tend to focus more on what I would call "turf hunting" or hunting parks, schoolyards, etc where a high degree of discrimination is paramount to reduce needless digging.

• Like 2