First Video Of Season 2015

Thanks guys

I will be a bit quiet for a while I'm off again tomorrow or the next day on another mission.

• Like 1

Is the nugget market really soft in Australia? I'm just curious why you melt the big solid slugs down, seems like you could at least get spot for them somewhere instead of 90% or whatever the purity ends up being and then a refiner cut?

I have problems selling my quartz/gold (specimens) quickly so I crush and melt them often, but the big slugs always seem to sell. Just curious if its different in Australia?

Jasong,

Don`t know about with the GHs but suspect is same, have found it is just not worth it to chase buyers, time spent chasing buyers is much more productive behind a detector. We have only 1/10th or less of your population, thus not the market, but this is from my experience. Only place I`ve had some success with solids is Ebay but mainly into Germany and USA and that market is becoming saturated.

• Like 1

I can understand the difficulties selling nuggets and specimens quickly, makes sense at times just to melt it down and sell. What perplexes me and maybe someone in Oz can explain. Why do all you fellas wear shorts and no snake protection against browns, and Tiapans? Blind in an hour and half  :blink: ! Death comes fast after that I am certain. Out hear in the Western part of the U.S. I wear snake guards and knee pad for rattle snakes. In addition it protects my legs and knees from various low bushes and shrubs..so I can plow through it all.

I myself wear long trousers and long sleeve shirts, but that is for sun protection. In regard to snake protection, I very rarely see a snake whilst prospecting, see more around my residence. I guess this may sound blasé, but protection from snakebite has never been a very big concern to me, but I do carry a wide elastic bandage to bind such a bite and slow circulation. I think with our taipan you have a lot less than 1 1/2 hrs if your bitten and not treated. The only people I`ve personally known of, all were bitten trying to kill a snake.

But I know the Gold Hounds have one member at least who is an expert on snakes, and imagine will answer your query when they return from their current mission.

• Like 2

In a solid 30 days of wandering western Australia prospecting I saw exactly one snake, a poor little python that came into camp one night to get a drink out of the JPs dogs water bowl. JP picked it up with a stick and deposited it outside of camp. I was told horror stories galore before I went, and then when we got there it was a big non-issue.

From my 35 plus years prospecting have only seen one taipan, that was in NT, a few pythons, night tigers etc. Yes I also think there is a fair few myths about OZ, our ground being the hottest being one of them. That is more of an excuse for getting bugger all and blame the detector.

But on snakes the Taipan encounter in the NT probably would have ended in tragedy had my dog not warned me. The snake was in strike mode with its head probably 18 inches off the ground, was a large snake about 8ft long. (was shot by a local next day, but not at my insistence, in fact had I known it would have been shot I would have kept quiet) I still have chills when I think how fortunate I was and believe I was saved by a mans best mate.

• Like 1

So it's not much of a concern as sightings out in the bush are extremely rare. I can understand this logic, I suppose the stories of taipans,  browns and vicious panda attacks are to scare us Yankees from coming to Oz and grabbing your gold  ;) . I was thinking perhaps they were as common as our rattle snakes here in the Western states. This year was dry, I ran into three two were within 7 feet of me. Luckily they warned me to stay clear. I just got so used to wearing guards and knee pads I wear them year round they have become part of my hunting gear. 

Yes, Australians don't worry about anything...it'll be right mate...no worries mate....

Three trips to Oz and I only found one little Brown or maybe he found me but we went our separate ways in peace.

Shorts and flip-flops;sounds like Bob Armstrong who is an excellent gold hunter and a very interesting fellow.

fred