Detailed Review Of Makro Gold Racer By Steve Herschbach

Technically the Gold Bug 2, GMT, and Gold Racer are all LF, not VLF. I have commented about this before but the reality when talking metal detectors is that VLF has become synonymous with Induction Balance (IB) detectors. http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/970-minelab-gpz-7000-a-super-vlf-saturable-soil-tips/

Different Types Of Detectors

Detectors And Frequency

Steve.

Did you get a chance to try out the concentric coil for the Gold Racer?

What kind of scenario would you use this coil on the Gold Racer over the stock DD?

Bryan

Hey Steve, we need to organise a prospecting trip again with the focus on a bit of VLF/LF fun. :wub:  VLF detecting is one of the few times I really enjoy having close company whilst detecting, your world shrinks when you use them making it fun to have others nearby like we did in WA that time.

I've enjoyed reading and following this thread over the last week and find myself wanting to participate in the conversation, ALAS our ground here in Clermont is just not conducive to regular VLF detecting so find myself grabbing the big gun ZED even when chasing the Tiny critters. I wish I had the GPZ internals in the Makro's light weight package even if that meant swapping out the battery every few hours. Imagine that? A GPZ with a 10" elliptical concentric coil as light as a GB II or Makro Gold Racer.  

Pretty impressed you offloaded your GB II, a veritable GIANT/LEGEND in the VLF world for the pre-production Makro Gold Racer!! How longs it been since the Gold Bug II hit the shelves? In June 1995 I tried a pre-release Gold Bug II on the Palmer river diggings in Far North Queensland, that' a long time to be wearing the "King of the VLF's" title! There should be an award for such incredible longevity. I've still got the one you gave me in WA Steve and will never sell it, I have far too much respect for such a little beasty to part with it. 

JP

• Like 1

You should come visit us JP. Not only is there a lot of VLF ground around here I think you would find a lot of open doors with a LOT of folks!

I would be negligent to suggest that the Gold Racer somehow replaces or obsoletes the Gold Bug 2. Since 1995 it has reigned supreme as a sniper of the tiniest gold flakes, and nothing much has changed there.

In Alaska I often had no good option but to focus on grain size gold, and the GB2 was my detector of choice. However, I now have more options for locations and in my opinion focusing strictly on tiny gold would now be counterproductive for me. When I left Alaska I had far more reasons to use my GPX 5000 and then the GPZ 7000. A year ago I realized I had not really used my Gold Bug 2 in nearly two years.

I had a two machine goal. GPX and something else, which morphed into GPZ and something else. What if the GPZ while out and about quit for any reason? I needed a backup. And good as it is the GPZ still can't hit gold a hot VLF can hit, so I needed a hot VLF. So far so good for the Gold Bug 2 and many people can stop right there and be good.

But being in historic Mother Lode county I wanted more versatility by way of discrimination options than the GB2 offers. Just in case I got around an old camp and wanted to coin or relic hunt. The Gold Racer seemed to hold out that promise for me, so I sold the GB2 to go all in with the Gold Racer. Mind you it was maybe my fifth or sixth GB2 and may not have been my last. I as a rule always rotate detectors out after two to three years use and often reacquire the same model again at a later date.

I think the GPZ/GB2 combo is perfect for many people and a no risk option. And I think is that the Gold Racer offers a reasonable alternative with a slightly different twist on things. It offers that little bit extra I was looking for. Playing around with new detectors also really is part of the fun so it works for me. I just want companies to do more than sit still for 20 years and am more than happy to work with anyone pushing the technology forward in any way.

Yes I dream of things like light weight GPZ detectors. Or better yet a GPZ with discrimination! Just like I have dreamed of a dual frequency Gold Bug 3 for twenty years. Or a modernized GMT which more than anything is what the Gold Racer resembles.

More choices, more options, more detectors, bring them on!

• Like 5

Hello All,

Great information on the new Makro Gold Racer Metal Detector Steve. A handful of customers have already asked about pre-orders, so we are doing them. We have been promised some of the first ones in the US due to our request for them many weeks back. For the time being, we have copied Steve's information and added to our page at - http://www.robsdetectors.com/makro-gold-racer-metal-detector

Hopefully Steve didn't mind, but it's the only updated information right now on the new Makro Gold Racer. Hopefully the manufacturer will have a page up soon with all the technical data and pictures.

Paul - Got your email, you're down.

• Like 2

Thanks Rob !!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I just recycled the "Invincible 7005" to a gentleman from down around SoCal way..

Will miss it due to the fact I hit a few firsts with it,,,---first water recovery ring was the best!

I think this man heard of the super duper coil ear mods that were made on her!!!! hahaaha

Looking forward to the Macro Gold! 

(and all those extra Rob will give with it--like 30 days of training, including food!!!)

Unit is up for sale again---- buyer backed out....

• 2 weeks later...