Detailed Review Of Makro Gold Racer By Steve Herschbach

PACKAGE CONTENTS

Standard Package - MSRP: $699

GR26 - DD Search Coil - 26cm x 14cm (10'' x 5.5")

Headphones

4 x AA Alkaline Batteries

Pro Package - MSRP: $899

GR26 - DD Search Coil - 26cm x 14cm (10'' x 5.5")

GR13 - DD Search Coil - 13cm (5")

Headphones

AC & Car Charger, 4 x AA Rechargeable Batteries

Carrying Bag

Rain Covers

Extra Lower Shaft

OPTIONAL SEARCH COILS AND ACCESSORIES

GR40 - DD Search Coil - 40cm x 33.5cm (15.5'' x 13'')

GR26C - Concentric Search Coil - 26cm x 14cm (10'' x 5.5")

2.4 GHz Wireless Headphones and Dongle

Makro Gold Racer Full Color Brochure

Makro Gold Racer User's Guide

DetectorProspector.com Gold Racer Page

• Like 1

The 10" x 5.5" DD coil has been redesigned and is identical to what recently started shipping with the FORS Gold+

The coil ears have been beefed up tremendously compared to the original Racer, with more material on the inner and outer surfaces visible in the closeup below. Reinforcement has been added around the cable entry point also.

makro-gold-racer-10x5-dd-coil-ears.jpg

makro-gold-racer-10-x-5-dd-coil.jpg

• Like 1

Pinpoint mode is like on most any coin type detector and is most useful in the disc modes - squeeze the trigger and the machine goes into a non-motion mode. Most experienced detectorists get so good at eyeballing targets they do not need a pinpoint mode but it can be an aid to beginners especially. In disc modes going to pinpoint also allows for easy "sizing" of the target.

Available is just their way of saying the machine has the feature.

makro-gold-racer-vs-whites-gmt-vs-fisher-gold-bug-2.jpg

Many people commented on the original Racer that they thought the angle of the handle was too severe, leading to hand/arm strain. I did not really notice it so much on the Racer because I did not really put that many hours on it but using the prototype Gold Racers it was more obvious. The angle has been softened considerably and the grip has also been changed. It feels a lot better to my hand now but I have smaller hands. S rods people like or dislike and nothing fits all hands perfectly, but this is an improvement in my opinion. Others will no doubt say a step backwards!

post-1-0-04553800-1449884549_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-50932700-1449885069_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

.... but using the prototype Gold Racers it was more obvious. The angle has been softened considerably and the grip has also been changed. It feels a lot better to my hand now but I have smaller hands. S rods people like or dislike and nothing fits all hands perfectly, but this is a definite improvement in my opinion.

I am one of those who didn't like the original Racer grip angle, but it was more noticeable when using the 5½X10 DD or 7X11 DD coils.  I favored the 4.7X5.2 'OOR' coil most of the time on the Racer, using the Nokta FORS CoRe w/stock 7X11 DD for more open territory searches, and with the smaller coil it's not as uncomfortable..   I agree with the new Makro Gold Racer grip angle as being an improvement, and I think the majority of users will prefer it.

Monte