Keene Pump Specs?

Anyone know or have a resource for older Keene pump specs. I am looking to put together another dredge and have lots of pumps and motors that I could use just not sure of the outputs with various hp engine set ups.

Also I have not been impressed with the Keene triple sluice. Seems it is needlessly complex and heavy Anyone use a double sluice?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve, I have two older Keene pumps and I am not sure what size they are. P100-P104????

One is a 2 1/4 in and 1 3/4 out. The second is 1 1/2 in and 1 1/4 out.

Keene's current catalog shows the different pump/engine/GPM and head pressure for the current models P180,P160.

I suppose I am wanting an older Keene catalog that gives the specs on discontinued models. Or maybe ???

LipCa, I have a new triple on my four inch and that is what I am referring to.

I built a four sub surface a wile back and I love it. Last summer I ran it next to my four inch surface dredge and after comparing the two I decided the subbie is a better dredge.

Packing in the surface dredge is prohibitive. But I want more production for weekend prospecting

so I am looking to get a five or six setup.

I did find a six inch dredge tube but that with a 6 hp P180 set up was not impressive so I think I want a surface setup but now that I am spoiled I want it to be light weight.

Looking at all six inch set ups today they are heavy and I am thinking an older unit with a single or double sluice would help cut weight. Also looking at a crash box verse a flair.

So I am hoping I will get feed back from others that have run the older stuff as to what they liked - disliked.

Thanks.

Steve, I think in my mind at least I am wanting to put a six inch sluice with a crash box on a four inch float/frame set up with twin 6 HP P180.

My thought is I can cut the sluice to half the length add new matting shorten the jet system and end up with a light weight high production dredge.

You had a dredge with a Marlex jet/flair. Do you think it has any benefit in my project?

Thanks.

Simplistically dredges are just a trade between weight/compactness and fine gold recovery. You have to find the balance that works best both for you and your gold deposit.

In Alaska for short term operations I preferred light weight and simplicity. But the longer the dredge stays in one location, the less weight matters, and the more important fine gold recovery becomes.

A crash box design is nice for simplicity and compactness. However, you use up half the riffles just getting things to settle down. Adding a flare just allows things to settle down before getting to the riffles. But now the whole setup is a third again as long.

I don't look at stuff like this as a right way or a wrong way but just trying to figure out what works best for each person and their particular situation.

Twin P180 pumps will drive a 6"" did it a lot myself, but it is borderline and so keeping the sluice at waterline is critical to minimizing lift. Every inch of vertical lift robs power fast.

• Like 1

Well, still not sure what the specs question is. Almost all Keene pumps for decades used a 3-4HP 5/8" threaded shaft P-100 variant, a 5-6HP 5/8" threaded shaft P-150/P-180 variant, an 8-10HP 1" threaded shaft P-200 variant, and a 11-16HP 1" threaded shaft P-300 variant. In more recent years they really started messing things up by throwing keyway shafts into the mix, making it harder to get correct parts. Someday I am going to put together some historical info on all this that I have in a decent form on my website because it is hard information to make sense out of and not a lot of info available on old stuff. Anyway, here is a 2006 chart to get the ball rolling.

keene-pump-chart-2016-catalog-specifications.jpg
Keene 2006 pumps and engines chart

• Like 1

And an example parts breakdown. All the threaded shaft models were similar. Big thing to know - shaft is reverse thread. The impeller screws onto the shaft. I sold a few impellers to people who put pullers on them and split the impeller in half!

keene-p100-p180-pump-servicing-page-3-of-3.jpg
Keene P100 and P180 pump diagram & installation instructions

• Like 1