Top Government Secret - If You Find Out You Must Die

Our government keeps an inventory of abandoned mines. You'd think they'd want you to know where they are so you could steer clear and stay away. Oh, no, this is a top secret database, a real spy the caliber of James Bond would not have the clearance to see. Locations of abandoned mines are a deep dark secret, never to be revealed. You might go out there and find something and that would be terrible!

Here is as close as you can get without being marked as the target of a government hit.

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/more/Abandoned_Mine_Lands/abandoned_mine_site.html

Maybe I should volunteer to be the "site steward" of some formerly productive gold mine. 

On the other hand, maybe that's too dangerous - If I show too much interest, I'd probably disappear this summer and be taken off in a black helicopter never to be heard from again.

OK, so maybe I am being a bit tongue-in-cheek with this, but there is an element of truth in my sarcasm.

You and I of course had a surrealistic conversation with some government people about this Chris. Our taxpayer money built this database but we are not allowed to access it directly. Of course the excuse was not that we must die if we know the locations but that we possibly could die if tempted to set foot on them and then our survivors might sue. I suspect that beyond liability however there is an element of simply not wanting to do anything that might help a prospector.

I have not given up. Some parts of the database are out there. Apparently uranium mines are safe enough to know about even if gold mines are not. Feel like putting a little glow in your life? 15,000 uranium mine locations in a single database file at http://www.epa.gov/radiation/tenorm/pubs.html#database

EPA and BLM however rather than make a single database available that lists gold properties forces you to dig deeper. Here is a good place to start http://www.abandonedmines.gov/mapdata.html

Yes, there are those that want to hide information from we-the- people that fund the research...

All types of information has been deleted from topo and FS maps...mines, cemetaries, townsites, indian villages...

that is our ever protective government in action.

fred

You guys are approaching this with the wrong attitude. I'm going to see if they will pay me a small stipend ($250,000) and loan me a black helicopter to locate abandoned mines. Does anyone know who I should call?

Steve,

Speaking as a retired Federal Investigator from an Agency you've probably never heard of (DOD/DIS), might I suggest you make further inquiries for the information you desire by making a formal request through the Freedom of Information Act?  At the same time contact your appropriate Congressman detailing your concerns and request that they make an inquiry as to the reasons you are unable to get the information you are requesting.  I know from personal experience that when an Agency receives what is called a "Congressional Inquiry", they have to respond in an VERY expeditious manner.  Call me personally if I can be of further help in circumnavigating Government Bureaucracy.