VLF Detectors And Depth

Hi Steve,

This is an amazing thread. As a relatively new member to the forum I am constantly cruising old posts to learn. Thank you for this incredible forum and sharing your vast knowledge and experience. 

Randy

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a great thread, But I got thinking with my mind becoming full of "If Only's" because at one time or another we all crave more depth from our machines and after reading a few of the GPZ threads and how it is best described as a Super VLF and then I thought of I wonder what it would take to make a normal VLF ignore the ground in such away that the signal would be able to penetrate the ground to the maximum out put of the machine,

Some VLF's Air test why beyond what any PI does and some VLF's those figures are totally obscene, wouldn't it be great if someone could get that power to ignore the ground and just do it's thing,  Ground balancing is a very cool feature and how it allows the machine to run stable but the machines still can't penetrate the ground like they do in mild dirt or in the Air,

Some people have made posts about doubling the depth and then quoted the power figures required in order to get that power, But what if we did not have to double the power, what if all we needed was a better way to get that power we already have in to the ground, I think the person or company that could make a VLF do that would turn the detecting world on it's head.

This almost sounds like what is going on inside the GPZ but not quite ?  some place I searched back when I owned my sovereign GT It seemed that I could not get anymore depth than 6 to 10" and then the machine decides that it wants to see a small lead toy at 17" using the factory coil, this had me asking my self all sorts of questions and started to give me doubts too mainly How would I ever know if it was searching down deep or not, So I tried bigger coils and found nothing so that helped a bit but this left me wondering how on earth did it see that lead Toy Soldier that deep, I have never repeated such a feat using a standard VLF machine fitted with a standard coil ever since, But it does show that they can do it when all the planets align,

J.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a remotely located beach here locally on a river, the mineralization is so severe I cannot detect a quarter over 3-4" max with my MXT Pro. This beach was used for a rock concert many yrs ago, I know there is some good stuff to be found on this beach but a vlf sure is hampered by the blacksand in the beach sands. Its also very full of trash from fishermen, sun bathers and the like which is pretty normal for beaches.   Like Steve says above, his vlf depth in Reno is about half what most others experience in the parks they hunt. 

I was initially very excited about Fisher starting a new line of vlf machines with a different form of ground balance, guess that didn't work out as desired since they dropped the CZX project.

• Like 2

I might add something that I fell for several years ago.  Tom, down in Florida was promoting the Fisher F75 very heavily.  Explaining how deep it could go, how fast it was and how much more could be found and I,  before thinking had fallen for all the hype, well maybe not hype in Florida.  Now I can say the F75 is a good machine, might go deeper, is faster and might find more but to the levels of Florida, NO.

In the red/orange clay dirt of Virginia, it struggles just like any other of the VLF machines I've had in the past.  I listened to the "you must run this machine hot" to get the depth but not in Virginia or for that matter anywhere the ground is high in minerals.  But in the white sand, no minerals of Florida, YES.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2018 at 7:49 PM, phrunt said:

I wonder if the Equinox with multi-iq has changed this very much? Great old thread though, lots of good reading.

Not as far as I am concerned at least.

Mineralization differences are why I honestly pay no attention to most stuff that gets posted as regards metal detector depth. Florida data is completely worthless to me. I may as well air test for that kind of data. It boils down to get the machines and see it with my own eyes. Frankly, it simplifies life. I don't have to watch tons of videos and ask for advice.

If you are a PI user the whole thing about VLF depth gets plain silly. If I really want depth, I will use a GPX 5000 or a GPZ 7000. That's depth! Once you get used to the performance of detectors like that in bad ground all VLF detectors are a distant second. I use a VLF for discrimination, not depth.

Argue about the Equinox versus V3i for depth for instance. To me it is a shoulder shrug because compared to a GPX 5000 they both suck for depth. I use the Equinox because I like the total package and its depth is acceptable for me. But I never kid myself that it is going "really deep". It's just a different perspective I guess.

• Like 4

Would air tests be a better comparison to a machines general performance on depth just to compare apples and oranges? Pi usually go deeper on the ground than air, Is that true with vlf?.

If I compare my air-test tests with my less mineralized  ground "1Bar Fe3O4-Tek.G2" -range in the ground, it will be at most lower by about 10-15%,to 20% ... for different types of objects compared to airtest ... on DD coils ...

oktober 9 iphone 5S 2018 052_DxO.jpg

• Like 3