Finally......Scored Me A New GoldStrike

Been watching and waiting for another Goldstrike to come up for sale...

Got lucky and finally found one, a new one for under $300 with the 10" coil.

Yippe for me. I know many don't like it but I do. This will be my third one.

I'll make a me a bag to mount it under the arm rest. Turn it on, set it up and go.

I'm stoked.

HH

MIke

The Gold Strike is an intriguing detector. It's failure on the market I think had far more to do with circumstance than actual capability, because it is a capable detector as you well know. If you have an interesting stories or tidbits to share I for one would sure be interested I hearing them Mike. Congrats on the good buy.

post-1-0-30877800-1427144036.jpg

Fisher Gold Strike Data & Reviews

Fisher Gold Strike Owners Manual

Review of the Fisher Gold Strike by Chris Gholson

post-1-0-21759800-1450153663_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Guest Paul (Ca)

That's a steal Mike!

Brand-new too, I seen that and the serial number starts with 1021 (10215692) Los Banos made. Wonder if the earlier Gold Strike models were hotter with the 1021 serial number like the CZ 3D?

Congrats!

Paul

That's a steal Mike!

Brand-new too, I seen that and the serial number starts with 1021 (10215692) Los Banos made. Wonder if the earlier Gold Strike models were hotter with the 1021 serial number like the CZ 3D?

Congrats!

Paul

paul, what do you mean los banos made?

Guest Paul (Ca)

Fisher models starting with serial numbers 1021 are from Los Banos, California. At least I think they are, The earlier CZ-3D models are and so are the Gold Strike.

Los Banos plant shut down, moved to Texas.

Paul

The Goldstrike isn't a detector that lets you ignore any targets.  Each hit requires a second check.  Each hit gets a couple of swipes and the All Metal audio says two things 1) just a rock, and nothing under it either, so move on, or 2) it is metal, look a the meter and see if you want to spend time on it.

In All metal mode, after you get a high tone response on a hit, a glance at the meter tells you ferrous/non-ferrous and the strength of the response.  At high signal strength response levels the minus sign - for ferrous responses is very reliable and you can skip those.   At lower signal strength response levels, the minus sign - for ferrous responses is less reliable.   You have to pick a response level at the site that you are comfortable with accepting and rejecting the information presented.   Typically you can trust the ferrous indicator down to around a signal strength report of 30, but it could go less, or it could go more,  just depends on the site and how comfortable you get with it, but 30 is a good place to start checking out the ferrous targets to make sure they are ferrous and make the determination of your trust in the ferrous indicator and adjust accordingly for the site.

Goes without saying that the positive non-ferrous indicator + gets recovered all the time regardless of signal strength.

In Disc mode the same thing applies only now you have set a ferrous reject point, and the audio response tells you the hit is below the reject point or above the reject point.   You have 99 points of ferrous rejection so you can set it just where you want it.  If you get into a bunch of nails you can set to just reject the nails, and again use the meter to give you the information needed to pursue the high tone hits.  

The threshold setting regulates the bottom end of the signal strength response so you need to pay attention to this.  Not such a fine tune issue in Disc mode, but in All metal mode you don't want to cut too much off the bottom, if any.  If you can get your bottom signal response down to around a 3, you got your ground balance and settings dialed in pretty good.  In reality, your gain, threshold and ground balance is all about getting the lowest signal response cut off possible for the site.

It is really a very nice unit once you get into the groove.  In my mind it is a true prospecting unit:  

• It forces each hit to be reviewed,
  • Hot rocks do not mask metal,
  • Gives the right information needed to make the dig/no dig decision, which
  • Reduces wasted effort.
  • and it hits on some pretty small targets.

HH

Mike

• Like 4

Thanks Mike, that is perhaps the most concise, useful information I have ever seen posted about the Gold Strike.

The main issue we ran into at places like Moore Creek was the inability to set the machine to ignore hot rocks. In theory the analyze every target is the best from a miss no gold standpoint. But when the soil is nothing but ground matrix mixed with hot rocks it gets to be too much. That one extra feature would have made a world of difference.

There are very many places that the Gold Strike would do just fine at however. I did think the machine had great depth - it is a shame they never produced the 14" coil for it.

fisher-gold-strike-logo.jpg

Thanks Steve,

Yeah, I'm sure there are sites where the Gold Strike isn't the appropriate tool.  But it does real good where it is.

Out to be in my hands in a couple of weeks and I'll give another update.

HH

Mike

Fisher models starting with serial numbers 1021 are from Los Banos, California. At least I think they are, The earlier CZ-3D models are and so are the Gold Strike.

Los Banos plant shut down, moved to Texas.

Paul

oh ok, I hunt ducks near los banos, never knew there was anything there but heat.