White's V3i and XP DEUS V4 Pages Added

Thanks for the info, Steve, but your photo background gives me the chills...brrr!⛄

Thanks for the info, Steve, but your photo background gives me the chills...brrr!⛄

Metal detecting Alaska style! The Vision came out in early 2009 when snow was still on the ground in Alaska so the photo was taken at a school yard around the playground equipment on one of my first outings. I did well, actually got a little gold ring that very first go!

post-1-0-77834400-1450064149_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Went thru the equipment review last night to look at the F19 ended up there for a wile looking over most of it. Great reference material.

Also looked at the forum archive. Really surprised to see how much has been added and I have missed. Should help with the cabin fever.

• Like 1

I was adding to the Archives today. The main forum is running back over 40 pages at the moment so I have about 20 more pages of posts to categorize and move.

Some of the equipment pages, like the F19 especially, need beefing up. I put them out right when a new machine shows up sometimes, and in the case of the F19 did not get back to it later to flesh out the details that are now available. I try to get in tidbits and details you can't find anywhere else or at least not all in one place. If all you want is a product page there are a zillion of those out there.

I have been updating my Nugget Detector Guide and I like to have detailed product pages to link to for more information. Since the White's V3i and XP DEUS are covered in the review it was necessary to add detailed product pages for them both.

They are very similar yet different detectors. The V3i can run at 2.5 kHz, 7.5 khz, or 22.5 kHz. The DEUS can run at 4, 8, 12, or 18 kHz. The main difference is that while both allow you to selectively choose to run at various single frequencies, the V3i can also run all three of its frequencies at once. It is the only detector I know of that can not only run in three frequencies at once but show you the target id results in all three frequencies simultaneously.

The DEUS is a wonder of ergonomics at only 2 lbs. The V3i weighs in at a hefty 4.5 pounds.

The V3i is perhaps the most complex detector ever designed. It does offer preset programs that work well, but it has a bewildering array of menus and submenus to delight the uber detector nerds out there. The DEUS has a much more minimalist approach with only those functions included that are required to get the job done.

It can be argued that time has proven the XP approach to be superior as regarding what people want to buy, since both machines sell for about the same price. The V3i offers a clear edge for performance on salt water beaches due to its multifrequency operation versus the DEUS single frequency approach, and for turf detecting the V3i can achieve better cherry picking results with its superior discrimination options. But at the end of the day simplicity and power win out over complexity and power for the average metal detector consumer. I have no doubt more manufacturers will emulate the XP route while the v3i will probably go down in history as an excellent but ultimately failed experiment in detector design. Gotta love that color screen though!

Now that I have a DEUS again I will be revisiting both in the field this summer to learn more about their respective capabilities as nugget detectors.

• Like 2