Control Box Cover For Fisher Gold Bug 2

My Fisher Gold Bug 2 is more like a mining tool than a metal detector. As such it gets subjected to a lot of potential abuse. In particular, I like to sit it upside down, control box on the ground, while I wave my scoop over the bottom of the coil looking for a tiny nugget.

I have some money invested in this tool however and I want to take care of it. So I use a little known Fisher secret - the holster / control box cover for the Gold Bug 2.

As you may or may not know the Fisher Gold Bug 2 is designed to be taken off the rod assembly, and by way of built in slots put on a belt and hip mounted. This is great for making the rod assembly super light for overhead use, like working a cut bank or steep tailing piles. It also puts the control box under your rain coat for protection. Note that bending over with the box on front of your hip continually bends the coil cable where it attaches to the box and will lead to premature cable failure. I therefore recommend mounting the box on your rear hip as shown. This is over my shirt for the photo, normally my belt would be holding my pants up also!

post-1-0-02024500-1394135609_thumb.jpg
Fisher Gold Bug 2 Belt Slots

post-1-0-59966300-1394135610_thumb.jpg
Fisher Gold Bug 2 Hip Mounted

The holster of control box cover for the Gold Bug 2 is made of heavy waterproof cordura nylon with belt loops and a flip cover with velcro closure. It has a hole on the bottom to attach the coil cable and access the threshold control. The top cover has a notch for the headphone jack.

post-1-0-30250600-1394136718_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-88752100-1394136721_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-94165500-1394136719_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-18891000-1394136719_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-90112800-1394136720_thumb.jpg

The cover is originally designed as a hip mount holster option, using the loops incorporated into the holster instead of those on the control box itself.

post-1-0-51290300-1394136977_thumb.jpg

I wanted to use my control box cover, not for hip mounting, but while rod mounted. Here is a new cover next to my old cover with the slot I cut to allow the box to rod mount with the cover on. Just used scissors, never had an issue with tearing later.

post-1-0-41739700-1394137193_thumb.jpg

The final result - a fully protected Gold Bug 2 control box ready to lay in the dirt. The cover has a tiny pocket on each side but I have never used them. The top flips open easily for a quick control adjustment if needed or can be tucked in and left open if desired. This cover was made for years for the original Gold Bug and Gold Bug 2 and also fits the old 1225X and 1235X models. It was discontinued for several years and then made available again. Last MSRP I saw was $18.95 and part number 103696.

Most Fisher dealers probably do not even know this exists so you may have to look around to actually find one in stock someplace. One of those hand made things that probably will be discontinued sometime so I got the second one just to have two.

post-1-0-83859300-1394138193_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Cool little cover steve, wish I would have known about these when my gb's were new.first time out with my new one a bank gave way and covered it and my arm , a little blood on the arm but gb control box took a beating, instantly looked 10 years old. They sure would be good like you say for setting down on the ground, and keeping moisture away. My spare gb died last trip to desert, not sure what happened yet, took it all apart couldnt find anything obvious wrong, guess I will send it to the doctor.I would use one of these covers if they pop up avaiable somewhere. Great idea. Rick

Metaldetector.com has them for 15.16 plus shipping.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Very difficult to find, I've contacted fisher support and were very,let's say the least interested to help, probably because they don't make them. I'm not sure why because this machine is sold by the hundreds each year enough to support a small shop business. I even took the dimensions to see if I can have my awesome seamstress to make one,but have yet to go to her.🙄

Amazon,eBay, internet all are devoid of this handy accessory. I think the only way you will get one is if you find one at an estate sale ( used ) or you customize it. Hope that helps.

I had a cover custom made for mine, it was the only way I could get one after a worldwide online shopping search.