Winter Prospecting This Year, Reasonable Choices?

1515Art

Smart advice Chris, Steve, Fred.

Here in Illinois where we are temporary residents, we have learned to carry blankets;

very handy if stranded in the cold where you don't want to run the vehicle out of gas.

They make warm ones that maintain body heat really well and take up very little space.

Those little portable jumper batteries are also worth their weight in gold if you need one.

This is what it looks like out here today...

I have all that stuff with me, but I still have to be super careful...i was walking down a snowy hill....And slipped just a little....And my immediate thought was, How far am I from the truck?

Well, I had to skedaddle out of the area because I couldn't see to detect and my left hand was getting too cold from holding the pick....
post-420-0-93733400-1450647172_thumb.jpgpost-420-0-42343900-1450647275_thumb.jpg

I just made coffee and had a walnut peach coffee cake....mmmm...I love 12 volt appliances!

post-420-0-25391700-1450650280_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-78390400-1450650615_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-56970900-1450650721_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Paul,

Go south young man.  No other human is going out where you are hunting for gold this time of year.

That is a good thing to know and a bad thing to do.  No one is there to help you as Chris said.

Come down to Arizona or wait until the spring.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Hi Everybody,

Ive been in my studio working on clay and firing my big kiln with a load of large pieces that have a lot of detail, the firing went perfect i think, but i won't know until it cools enough to crack the door tomorrow. I also was throwing some tall clay on the wheel until 1AM and my body feels like I was in a bar fight and the clay won.

Paul, you are my hero... I don't mind the cold and in fact i prefer it to be on the cool side, i drug out all my ski gear and have it loaded in my car all ready to go. That is, until I saw those pictures, you are one tough son of a gun cause that looks hmmm epic and way to cold to be fun for a cupcake like me.

Steve, "I am amazed how bad the roads in backcountry Nevada get when wet." those roads a scary even when they are dry, the drive out to the blue wing mountain area past the seven troughs has some high mountain off camber curves that feel like they are paved with marbles, no way id want to be out there when its wet. Chris, that would be a bad place to break down any time but i guess it would be a long while till you saw some help come wandering randomly by in the winter time. Every time I go out there I feel just a little uneasy looking around at all that solitude, it's thrilling and a little scary too.

I guess it's about time to venture out to Arizona, Nevada is just to dang cold and most of the places I'd want to look at, it would be just plane stupid this time of year to wander that far out and risk getting stuck.

These are pictures of the green pieces i fired last knight, glaze is next...

post-618-0-41069100-1450662615_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-05768200-1450662661_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-70071800-1450662725_thumb.jpg

post-618-0-98442300-1450662745_thumb.jpg

• Like 6