Winter Prospecting This Year, Reasonable Choices?

1515Art

Did Art just call me stupid?????? :lol:

Maybe a little,,because I am older now than I once was and it may be a little tougher to take if I got stuck out there,,,but....

most of you know I was in the Army, but what some may not know is that I was in 10th Special Forces (Airborne) out of Ft. Devens, MA.

My A-team's area of operation was Czechoslovakia, (which have the Carpathian Mts) --I didn't used to tell this to everyone because that's just the way we were taught--to keep low profile!

Anyway,  we were trained in winter warfare and survival training in the lovely weather of Ft. Drum New York...I took pictures while we were doing ski training there one month and even the pictures were blue---It was COLD! 20 below with humidity!   So i feel confident in my skills.

The snow and cold weather actually exhilarates me, ---I am too heavy for one thing , so all that helps insulate me in the winter....

I definitely look around and try to prepare for everything because I go out most of the time by myself... The thing you have to prepare for might not be what you expected so it takes time to get a good gear bag together. Mine is still not complete... Summer bags are different from winter bags.

I had forgotten completely about the battery jump boxes until one of you mentioned it...I have one backpack dedicated to medical and survival gear. I always carry a flat of water in the truck.

My biggest problem would be if I had something happen to me while I was away from the truck and couldn't get back to my gear.

we talked about it last year on the WSPA forum and maybe this one too,

I have got to get one ordered--a SPOT messenger or some other kind of satellite transmitter.

I have HAM radio, but who knows if I would be in shape to be constantly giving radio transmissions. I don't even know how to use the ham set yet---(another winter project)

But rest assured, I try my best to stay alert and be prepared......

Sometimes things just happen that we weren't ready for,  ...and if something happened to me and I bit the bullet our there detecting or whatever,,,,, I would be OK with that---

Way better than the nursing home !!!

Thanks for the concern..... seriously.. we all need to watch out for each other..

I love this life!!!

Back in the skinny days...lol

post-420-0-75886000-1450667061_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I don't know pal, but that piece with the octopus is awesome, just awesome.

• Like 2

Paul, I see you on the right, my question is who is the geek on the left? LMAO

Seriously, thank you for what you have done and continue to do my friend.

• Like 1

Paul, I see you on the right, my question is who is the geek on the left? LMAO

Seriously, thank you for what you have done and continue to do my friend.

:lol: I knew you would pick up on that one~~~~~~~~ you old tar you!

Hey thx for reposting that Pocket Mining stuff---good read!!! and im not done yet

Paul,

no, no, no... i called you my hero!!! let me set this straight right away, I would be stupid to take my 14 year old 210,000. mile SUV out into the Nevada outback, in the dead of winter when the traction control is on the fritz and whenever i get stuck on something it has the nasty habit of shifting itself into reverse, it did this climbing out of the nastiest road out of the American river I've ever been on almost sending me over the edge of the road.

not just the traction control... none of the sound system works, gps is out, ABS is out with the traction control, both side mirrors el fritzo, back seat won't fold permanent cargo style and the price of Mercedes parts are about 10 times what the car is worth, but it still runs good and I can beat the holy heck out of it and not give a rats tail what happens to it as long as I get home. :D  :D

Paul,

no, no, no... i called you my hero!!! let me set this straight right away, I would be stupid to take my 14 year old 210,000. mile SUV out into the Nevada outback, in the dead of winter when the traction control is on the fritz and whenever i get stuck on something it has the nasty habit of shifting itself into reverse, it did this climbing out of the nastiest road out of the American river I've ever been on almost sending me over the edge of the road.

rucky chucky?