GPZ Technical Question For JP

Condor

The GPZ has two components to its GB, the Ferrite balance is most aggressive when Quick-Trak is held in but hard to shift in auto mode, so waving over large metal objects etc will not affect it. However the G balance is much more lively so it can be impacted upon by continuously waving over a target, that part of the GB is much more lively because that component of the ground changes much more rapidly and often..

Best method is to detect in Auto, perform a Ferrite Balance with Quick-Trak held in then allow the auto ground balance to track to the more rapid changeability of the regular ground signal. If things get or feel a bit out then pump the coil without Quick-Trak and let the auto tracking compensate for the variation in G balance, if it is too far out and taking too long then place the Ferrite on the ground and with the Quick-Trak held in pass over the Ferrite and ground at the same time, release the button then finish off the GB by gently pumping the coil (do not go right to the ground especially in the High Yield/Normal modes to avoid saturation signal). 

When Quick-Trak is held in the detector will more aggressively track the Ferrite component, if no Ferrite signal is present then you could end up with a less than ideal situation if you encounter any Ferrite signal later on in the session.

The supplied Ferrite provides the best exposure/excitation for the X balancing required for the electronics regardless of ground encountered, once performed the detector will stubbornly hold onto that data for the whole session unless the Quick-Trak button is triggered.

JP

• Like 2

It seems to hold on to the ferrite data even after I've switched the machine off and on, (ie started a new session on a new day). Is this not the case?

The reason I say that is because it's only out of balance on the ferrite if I either reset the machine or do a lot of quick tracking on other bits of ground (possibly for more than 10 seconds). But it stays in balance with the ferrite if I just turn it off and then back on again.

Yes on switch off it retains the last piece of good data and dumps the rest, so if your balance was good at switch off it'll be pretty good when you turn on again.

JP

Cool, thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

The beauty of this forum is we get valuable information without the ridiculous sniping so prevalent in the old days of other forums. I've been following the JP posts since the original Finders forum and cringed at the abuse he took from armchair prospectors with a Minelab Axe to grind. Again, Bravo Zulu to JP for sticking it out and Steve for zealously keeping the forum clean and relevant.

• Like 2

Good stuff Youngfellow, ties in with what I have experienced and why the Z is the performer it is, its auto ground balance capabilities, the way it retains its GB. Very rarely is a repeatable signal not a positive (wet tree roots throw it, as the Xs ), a few swipes and it adjusts to a differing bit of ground, but not immediately which is a top indicator to slow down. Overall it allows you to move on wheras you`d be digging more false signals, probably its biggest strength over the Xs in my country, allows you to cover ground quicker thus better production, it just amazes me each time I use it. Our wet has begun (hopefully), so its sitting idle for a few months but my anticipation of next season is as probably as strong as it was 20 years ago, bloody Goddess of Gold. Love it.

Merry Xmass all.

• Like 2