Help Relocate A Snowbound Placer Miner

Something to remember, once living in any climate for a time, winter always seems cold. That's just the way it is. The thing is, do you want to shovel snow or not?

If I were to move to Az I would pick Black Canyon City - it's in the heart of gold country.

The club I would join would be Roadrunner Prospecting Club (RRPC). They have it all and their claims offer everything from dredging to metal detecting and have claims in every gold district in Az. Black Canyon City is in the heart of it all and the history there is rich. It is mid - way between the high mountains and the low desert.

When becoming a member of RRPC you will receive an extensive list of claims with maps and directions on how to get to the claims. Also, group outings and potlucks! A great club! 

• 2 weeks later...

chickenminer, that fifth picture down from the top looks like Shaking Rock. (Canyon de Chelly panorama) Follow that shadow.....oh....I guess you had to have seen the movie McKenna's Gold, Hollywood's version of the famed Lost Adams Mine aka The Lost Dutchman. Great movie to watch where they are out in hot desert when its freezing outside here.

chickenminer, that fifth picture down from the top looks like Shaking Rock. (Canyon de Chelly panorama) Follow that shadow.....oh....I guess you had to have seen the movie McKenna's Gold, Hollywood's version of the famed Lost Adams Mine aka The Lost Dutchman. Great movie to watch where they are out in hot desert when its freezing outside here.

That's Spider Rock in Canyon de Chelly nevada00d. It's kinda important to the Navajo.

No gold there or anywhere near there. The Lost Adams mine is 187.56 miles away as the crow flies. :D

Clay Diggins,

"No gold there or anywhere near there."

Yep, that's what McKenna said.

"The Lost Adams mine is 187.56 miles away as the crow flies."

Dang, I knew it, right smack dab in the middle of Lake Powell. :|

Underburden,

Keep your Idaho place, do the snowbird thing to AZ in winter for a few years, go back to Idaho in the summer. Have the best of both worlds and check out various warm winter locations near gold. You may eventually find your spot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are starting to research places to retire too. It's still a ways off (maybe 5-8 years), but would appreciate thoughts on areas that offer the most accessible gold detecting areas. We are probably less sensitive to the climate. We like the water also (kayaking and fishing.) We definitely hope to spend a lot of time prospecting/exploring, so access to high-return areas would be ideal. Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Bob,

I'm getting tired of the cold winters too, but I do love hunting the gold here in the summers, so I may have to do some investigating of the snowbird option as well.

I have to agree that Prescott is a beautiful area, yet it seems like all places have their pros and cons. Having said that, Prescott is in a choice location.

I agree with others that you should join a club for access to claims until you've stomped around enough to find a sweet spot of your own, or maybe you'll just always love the club scene as it does give you a dedicated group of friends right out of the gate. Any place in Arizona with a lower elevation will greatly inhibit your summer gold prospecting such as in places like Stanton, so that's why migrating north in the summer will remain a great choice too.

All the best with your trip to check things out,

Lanny