Finding BIG Gold With Fisher Gold Bug 2 - Two Pound Specimen

Gerry found an amazing gold specimen in dredge tailing piles!

Bill Moore

Laporte, CO

• Like 7

Well alright, congratulations Gerry!

The GB2 is an awesome tailing pile hunter for a couple reasons. The light weight, hip or chest mount design is one reason for sure. The other is the crazy simple iron disc mode. Just cover ground and dig sweet beeps, nothing to it. And less likely to make you walk away from big nugget because iron disc makes a nice squeaky nugget sound on stuff that would overload on a lot of other detectors.

There is some big gold in tailings in Idaho but one less now!

• Like 1

Steve, there are some serious bucket line dredge tailings in my area, but with lots of iron trash. Do you think the Gold Racer would be a good choice specifically for these areas?

Any good VLF with good iron disc will work. The White's MXT is particularly well proven in this particular regard. I personally think the Gold Racer would also be a good choice - my choice at the moment anyway, with the large coil. The bottom line however is the Gold Racer is an unproven machine so a bit more risk going that way as opposed to something like the MXT which has proven over and over to be a good tailing pile machine.

I am not pushing the MXT per se, just highlighting the difference between tried and true compared to new and unproven. Do keep in mind nobody hunts cobble piles looking for small gold, so just about any good nugget hunting VLF will do the trick. Steve's Guide To Gold Nugget Detectors

I would normally use a larger coil for tailing piles but it is funny to note Gerry using Gold Bug 2 with 6" coil and making this find. I did well at Moore Creek with the Gold Bug 2 and 6" coil because the small coil could better see between the dense hot rocks that caused masking issues with the larger coil.

Amazing..