The Z Is For Sale

klunker

Yesterday I was sitting in my office doing year end paper work and within sight is the 7000 hanging on the store room wall. about noon, a little devil voice on my shoulder says "let's go detecting". Then a little angel voice on my other shoulder says "You promised this year you wouldn't shirk your responsibilities to go detecting." Then the little devil voice says "There are storms predicted for the whole week . We could be snowed in for the rest of the winter!" Then the little angel voice says "He's right. The hell with being responsible."

I loaded up the Jeep and drove to the only place that I thought the snow might be melted off enough to do a bit of nugget hunting. This particular spot has 3 major problems. It's been hammered for years, it is covered with hot rocks and it has a high voltage electric transmission line right through the middle of it. I have always been able to work this area with other detectors by making adjustments and changing coils. Not so with the Z. It was absolutely helpless. The only way to quiet it down was to turn it off so I gave up.

On my way back to the Jeep I decided "I'm going to get rid of this thing." Further more, I thought I could make a statement by selling it for 40% off of the original price of $10,000. That makes it $6,000. Then I remembered one very small area of old workings that was about 1000' from the power lines. There the 7000 was it's usual well behaved self and I immediately found a nice small chunky nugget. "O.K." I thought. "I'll raise my price by 10%. That made it $7,000.

I was only able to detect for about an hour before it was getting dark and too danged cold but by that time my Z was up to $12,000. 

• Like 9

I had a dog some years back just like that. I had named him Dollar.There was times he was worth a million and the next time he got down to fifty cents. The trouble is you don't know it's true worth until it's gone.

You take the good and the bad and it will add up to the enjoyment of life. Money can't buy this even if your dog is named Dollar.

Chuck Anders

• Like 2

HAHA, Klunker, you reminded me of the many reasons why I never made any money in Portola. Among the reasons were Hunting Season, Gold panning, sniping, trapping and fishing...each thing in its season.

That did not pay well but those were the dream years of my younger life.

fred

• Like 2

Come on KL, tis worth at least 40% more then what you paid for it.

You may be right NVC. but after a full season with it, it is still a love-hate relationship. As noted above, sometimes in the same day.

Fred; I know what you mean. I always describe this place as "a beautiful place to starve to death" but my roots go back so far and deep that I don't think I would transplant well.

• Like 1

I think it is our environments that make the dif, the Z has done to the PI`s in my country what the PI`s did to the VLF`s. Yet this past season I did not see another operator in the field, other then my son when he accompanied me. No power lines, no huuuumans, I can only imagine the environment you folks detect in.

Yes different environments for sure...lots of trash and I think a PI/VLF hybrid is what would do well here. So most of our hunting is digging every piece of trash and clearing over many weeks, months and years. As long as their is ferrous theirs gold hidden. In one instance found 33 grams in 17 pieces below a square nail....

• Like 1

Dunno, our Triantiwontigong is a savage beast, but once you`ve got him onside he eliminates all competition. Reminds me of a visiting customer a few years back, as the Missus was accompanying him down to workshop, he kept walking closer to her for protection because the family dog looked fierce. The closer he got the more the dog objected. Tis the nature of the beast.

For a fee, I can export one over for you, along with the next shipment of ferrites perhaps.

I can imagine the Z is not ideal for trashy areas, but in virgin country tis a beauty.

• Like 2