World's Largest Blue Star Sapphire Found

"Gemologists in Sri Lanka claim that the largest blue star sapphire yet has been discovered in a mine in the country. The gemology institute in the capital Colombo has certified that the gem weighs 1404.49 carats and say they have not certified anything larger. The gem is valued at at least $100m and the current owner estimates that it could sell for up to $175m at auction."

Rest of the story at http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35226276

post-1-0-37423300-1451977820_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

I think if I was seriously into prospecting for bucks that looking for gems perhaps has more chances for an individual prospector to make a big score these days then gold prospecting. I probably need to change my thought processes a bit.

Hi Steve / Guys

That is a verrrrry nice stone thanks for the link Steve

I have prospected sapphire and other gems here in oz for many years.

Australia has the worlds largest's sapphire deposits at Glen Innis and second largest at Rubyvale and many other smaller fields.

Most of the worlds gem quality sapphire actually comes from Australia but gets bought by Thai and Shri Lankan wholesalers then sold as Thai or Shri Lankan stone.

A couple of Thai company's pretty much control the world sapphire market and this can make it very hard to sell your parcels of stone at a fair price.

Much like DeBeers control the Diamond trade.

Im not saying this stone is an ozzy one it would likely be Shri Lankan.

The point I am trying to make is that it is very hard too get the real price for your general mine run stones as the market is controlled and volatile.

Large or exceptionally unique stones are different though as you can auction them directly to the end buyer at a collectors auction.

But finding a stone like that is harder than winning the lottery!

Stick with gold Steve as when you find a nugget it is the same as if you found cash!

Here is a 1000ct parcel of VSI untreated cut sapphire I found (the smallest stone is just under a ct.)

post-647-0-89340400-1452042169_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Steve,

Good story and most states in the west have some minerals to prospect.  Try some of both.  That is what I think this year.

Gold Hound,

Amazing stuff.  I want some.

Mitchel

• 2 weeks later...