The Beast Electric Off Road ATV Style Bike

nvchris

I traveled many miles in Plumas county on my Honda 110...or 90. 100 miles to the gallon. I had a very big box on the back and could camp with tent, detector etc...I wish they still sold them in California...

fred

The ole Honda Trail 90.... I have fond memories as well.... You can fit two teenage boys and a dead buck on one of those...only problem is someone has to sit on the dead buck...and that was usually me because it was my buddies bike...

strick

post-351-0-35164400-1452868595_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

G'day,

Now that Honda is no longer making the CT110 it looks like that, in Australia at least, the Honda NBC110 is to be the replacement motor bike for Australia post ( http://www.apbauto.com.au/shop/honda-nbc110-super-cub/ ). The NBC110 seems like it could well be a worthy replacement for use by prospectors. The NBC110 is made in China, whereas the old CT110 was made in Japan .. so, the build quality may not be equal to the high standard set by the old CT110. There was a NBC110 recently sold in New Zealand, but it was only for off-road use as it could not be road registered (which seems strange). The NBC110 would be an ideal replacement for me. But, only if I could get it road registered!

This

V3QL20.jpg

became this

e4tgOb.jpg

after being exposed to the salt laden air of New Zealand's Wet West Coast.

6hVrQI.jpg

AseinS.jpg

Regards,

Rob (RKC)

We use the Honda CRF150F electric start bikes as our prospecting bikes.

We use the 150's because they are powerful enough to get up steep rocky hill's (no tracks where we go) yet light enough to man handle out of problem situations on your own.

And they still easily cruze at 80kmph on tracks, and  they have good suspension and good handling off road.

And Honda is VEEEERRRRY reliable. 

I dont know of a kid in America that didn't want or own a Honda trail at some time.

A ride on Klunker's bike got me to wanting another dirt bike for exploring, til I forgot about that kickstand thing....

Keeping my Honda Foreman till they invent automatic kick stands. 

Here is an electric bike  have been researching for quite a while--- i finally pulled the trigger today..... getting some mods on it, of course...should have it to play on soon...

This is a picture with the motor off and with the motor on---the rear rack is strong enough for a regular sized person to ride on it---- doubt anyone will get on with me--except maybe Michel,,,lol

It is like an electric Rokon...

post-420-0-61258700-1452969201_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-77183600-1452969277_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-45228400-1452969247_thumb.jpg

And Yes there will be covers on it---- and Yes i have an Epirb now!!!!!

• Like 2

We use the Honda CRF150F electric start bikes as our prospecting bikes.

We use the 150's because they are powerful enough to get up steep rocky hill's (no tracks where we go) yet light enough to man handle out of problem situations on your own.

And they still easily cruze at 80kmph on tracks, and  they have good suspension and good handling off road.

And Honda is VEEEERRRRY reliable. 

G'day Gold Hound,

The reliability of Honda motor bikes is phenomenal! And it would be the reliability, more than anything else, that has made the Honda Club the biggest selling bike in history.  I just hope that is not going to change now Honda is manufacturing in China.

There have been many times I could have done with the few extra HP of a 150cc bike. But the extra weight of a conventional trail bike is not worth the extra HP for me, personally. And conventional trail bikes sit too high for me to be comfortable when navigating tight and tricky terrain. Might be OK if I was over 6 foot tall ... but I'm not. Its too far to fall when sitting high. I've come off a few times and the only injury has ever been bruising. The step-through aspect of the CT110 makes it much easier to stay upright in tight spots. And being clutch-less is really handy.  

When I was in the Palmer river area (Queensland) in the 1980s one of the guys with us had a small monkey bike. But it was not particularly useful because it was so small. I first learnt of postie bikes in Queensland when a Queensland farmer recommended them to me. He had used one when he had a plantation in PNG and had found that they would get through mud better than anything else, and if they did get stuck they were light enough to be lifted out more easily than a lager trail bike.

l52Ubx.jpg

Regards,

Rob (RKC)

• Like 2

The one thing I learned to carry was a good piece of 3/4 inch plywood to set the kickstand on...many places were to soft to hold the bike upright.

many happy times gold, coin and coyote hunting on the bike....when I should have been working.

fred

Hi RKC

I have a friend who is a real short ass <_< , and what he did is remove the seat and then removed the vinyl cover and trimmed down the foam then re-stretched and secured the vinyl cover again.

I think he managed to lower the seat about 80mm by doing this with no sacrifice of comfort.

I have ridden his bike and actually thought the modded seat was more comfortable than standard.

Just don't tell him he's short :angry:................ he's not short he's vertically challenged :D

I've tried a posty bike before and think they lack power and do not hop over obsticals any where near as good as a trail bike.

But if you mostly ride trails which it appears you do I can see it being useful there,

particularly if its road registered. 

G'day Fred,

Here on NZs West Coast there is always a nice flat rock or a tree branch handy to put under the stand, as I have to do many a time. Especially when the ground is as soft as it is presently after a long wet Spring.

G'day Gold Hound,

I just had a look on the Honda Kiwi web site and the Honda CRF150f does look appealing! But as its not road registrable its out of the question for me. While looking around the site I noticed the XR150L which is road registrable (  http://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/motorcycles/farm-2-and-4-wheel/2-wheel-farm/xr150/  ). Next time I'm at our Honda shop in Greymouth I'll see if they have one in the shop and try it out for size. And its reasonably priced, which is a big advantage. 

I have to be careful with bike tyres as it can be very dangerous to use full knobby tyres on the often wet and slippery, tar-sealed roads of the West Coast. It took me some time to find the right tyres for my CT110s. I now use a half knobby tyre that I can safely use both on and off road. I tried road tyres (as used on the postie bikes) some years back and they were disastrous on unsealed roads with lose shingle. I had to go so slow to prevent me coming off I could just as easily have walked. And I found out the hard way that road tyres are more easily punctured than knobby tyres are. Getting a flat and becoming stranded when in a remote area can be near life threatening in NZ, especially during winter.  About 10 years ago I spent an entire Christmas day walking out of a remote area (7 hours walking in the hot sun) after getting a flat.

And about three years back here on The Coast I got a flat and had to walk the bike out for a about 4 or 5 ks to a main road. But, worse than having an unplanned walk, I must have damaged the rim slightly on the way out ... which I was unaware of at the time. I found out later when I was driving into town one day. I was driving at speed when I lost control of the bike and it suddenly fish tailed all over the road. I then hit the side road barrier which threw me off the bike into the centre of the road. Luckily there were no broken bones, but the next day I was covered from head to toe in bruises (and cuts on my face). What must have caused the crash is that the small rim damaged caused when walking my bike out made the tyre come off the rim when the air pressure was low and I was travelling at some speed. 

I had to replace nearly half of the bike ... which, thankfully, was insured.

Regards,

Rob (RKC)

MK2X8J.jpg

bpua.jpg

iSNq7z.jpg

• Like 1