What Type Of Metal Detector Shaft Design Do You Prefer?

57 members have voted

1. 1. What Type Of Metal Detector ShaftDesign Do You Prefer?

• Straight shaft
    • Curved shaft

curved shaft with separate handle like Fors and X-Terra. 

Although for bigger coils, the straight GPX shaft is perfect. Could never get used to a straight shaft for my chest mounted Sovereign, so went back to the S-bend. 

• Like 1

This is pretty simple. Straight shaft, or some kind of curved shaft? The most common curved shaft is the S rod but there are others. Please vote in the poll so it tallies results but if you want to add commentary/particulars that is great.

My White's Ghost Towner BFO in '68 had a straight shaft, and my Compass Coin Hustler has a straight shaft.  Most early detectors had a straight shaft/rod, and some, like the old Fisher T-20 or Orion 121 units I had, used a curved handle on the straight rod.  Some had a straight shaft to the control housing and a handle on top of the control box, like the White's blue-box 6000 series, or an angled handle on the control box like the Compass X-100.

The popular design then went to with a straight shaft really included those that curved at the back end and went back up over the control housing, like the Garrett Ground Gog, Compass 77B or Relic Magnums, and many, many more.  A straight shaft was basically all we had until the popular 'S' rod change hit the market, and that mainly started with the Fisher 1260X in '82.

In '83 Tesoro came out with the straight shaft Inca and Mayan with a handle on the housing, but also later the Silver Sabre which used the 'S' rod design, and for the most part that has continued to today with most manufacturers. 

I much prefer the various 'S' or 'Curved' rod designs in use today and find them more comfortable and maneuverable or better handling most of the time.

Monte

• 2 years later...

The one they did not put on the Equinox.:sad:

• Like 1

I have a certain OCD about the way detectors look. I will even sacrifice a little practicality for aesthetics. I'm like this with everything from cars, to home to metal detectors. I put up with the weight of the MX Sport partly because it's a gorgeous machine. To this day I miss the F75 LTD partly because it's one of the best looking machines ever made. So now I'll have the Equinox in my hands tomorrow and I don't like the looks of a straight shaft on most machines, but particularly the Equinox. I've seen that I'm not the only one that thinks so, in many forums. I've even gotten to see what it looks like with an S rod in another forum and it makes a world of difference. Looks like a whole different machine with just that one change, but the problem the modifier ran into is that he can't find an S rod that will connect. Everything he tries is a little off, so that's probably going to drive me nuts for a while lol. 

• Like 1

I have a line of straight shaft at the detectors - they allow a more compact folding but also a better balance ..., a lesser weight and a smaller pull of the lock as a S-rod that employs a large force on the lock.
5a8c7f952e400_iphone5S2017125(816x612)_DxO.thumb.jpg.6a1fb1ae52c7e70a60f2f3f4e378c20e.jpg

sony sola 1073 (600 x 337).jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I like the straight shafts on my Excaliburs, but with a curved handle which makes it easy to carry to the beach. I do like the control pod under the elbow with a very tight cuff. Gives me better coil control in the water. I keep my cables trimmed short and tight to the shaft, one thing I hate is a sloppy cable.

20190820_203722.jpg

• Like 2