New Garrett ATX Coils & 2016 ATX Detector Options

Guest Paul (Ca)

I like the extra depth these new coils bring, but I feel the new DD coil will loose sensitivity to smaller nuggets as compared with stock DD.

The original ATX DD is a neat coil, a bit heavy but that's what made it the coil it is today with good depth and extreamly sensitive to real small Gold.

With this new coil, may loose sensitivity to the smaller nuggets but Gain extra depth for those nuggets belond the reach of the stock coil.

Because it's lighter, Something had to give for the extra depth that be sensitivity. Can't see it having both.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2016 at 11:43 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Lighter could just mean it is not epoxy filled and therefore not intended for underwater use.

Hi Steve , in your opinion which of these two new coils would have the greater depth ? 

The 11" x 13" mono would be deeper in all but the worst ground, where DD coils sometimes have an edge. Also, the iron check function will not work with mono coils. I will be getting both for my ATX soon and relegating the stock 10" x 12" DD coil to water use only.

More on the new ATX coil options here

Click on image below for larger version

garrett-atx-new-coil-options-2017.jpg

Like I said in my last post "I will be getting both for my ATX soon". I would not expect either new coil to be any more sensitive to small gold than the 10" x 12" DD coil. They should however get slightly better depth on larger gold, especially the mono coil. The real advantage in my opinion is the center mount design eliminating the issues with the rear mount. Hopefully the bump sensitivity has been alleviated. When I get the chance I will report in the coils but it would be great if somebody here beats me to it.

garrett-atx-closed-coil-option.jpg

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 1/21/2016 at 5:41 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Garrett is releasing two new, larger 11”x13” closed searchcoils for the ATX pulse induction detector. Available in either a DD or mono configuration, the new ATX coils will be lighter weight and offer increased depth versus the standard ATX searchcoil. The new closed style provides more resistance to falsing due to scrubbing of the coil against the ground and allows gold prospectors to use the upper coil deck to sift/find tiny nuggets easier. The new ATX searchcoil includes an exclusive Garrett design slide-lock system that creates a center-mount style while still allowing the ATX to collapse into its soft cover carrying case. Designated for a mid-year release, the new ATX coil will be available as the new standard offering on ATX detectors and can be purchased as an accessory coil by existing ATX customers. More details and pricing on the new ATX packages will be forthcoming.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/pdfs/Garrett_New_Products_2016.pdf

Well Steve, you wrote the above almost two years ago. So why is it that when I visit websites selling the ATX the accompanying photos invariably show the (supposedly former) open 12"X10" coil as the stock coil? I don't get it. 

The main issue that would concern me were I to consider purchasing the Deepseeker package is that the big 15" X 20" coil it comes with is Mono. It would've been great if Garrett also offered a large coil of that size as a DD, as well. I would hate to have to deal with frequent false-signaling because when using the Mono Deepseeker coil the ATX's iron discrimination function can't be used.

A 15" x 20" DD would be a real beast, and since the discrimination only works at shallower depths it does not help you when you need it most - on those real deep targets that have you digging pits.

The 12" x 10" was not discontinued and since many people buy the ATX for use in the water it may be the more popular option.

• Like 1