Garrett ATX or Whites TDI Pro For Beach?

I'm new to the forum which is excellent, I'm thinking of upgrading to either the ATX or the TDI pro, the machine will be used mostly on the beach, but an ability to coin shoot would be excellent. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

Coin detecting with a PI is not for the faint of heart but there is a lot of information on that here. The TDI has the edge for coin hunting applications.

ATX and TDI Pro for beach hunting and in general simply boils down to do you want to use it in the water a lot or not? The TDI Pro is a superb beach hunting PI that can be hip or chest mounted, has an incredible number of coil options at fairly low cost, and in the "ground balance off" straight PI mode about as good as you can get in a beach PI. Yet with the ability to employ ground balancing if you need it on highly mineralized beaches. Ground balancing can actually cost you depth if used where it is not needed. The ATX gets close to this by doing a reset and then not ground balancing but the TDI methodology is superior in my opinion by having a switch to just turn it off.

If you want to submerge it, ATX. Even if you plan on wading a lot, still not a bad idea as mistakes/big waves happen. I am a get in the water guy so ATX it is for me. But if I was going to strictly work the beach or maybe just light wading, it would be TDI Pro instead.

Thanks for the replies, I am swaying to the TDI as it seems possible to coin shoot with it, that would make it a bit more of an all round PI detector. I do like the PI detectors although the iron infested beaches here get a little tedious at times with the sea hunter. When I lived in the UK I used to own the Goldscan 2 PI detector it had a monstrous control box that you slung around your neck but it was a deep seeking machine. Thanks for the info guys as I said an excellent forum, who knows you guys might inspire me to get my Gold Pan out.

• Like 1

For sheer performance I would say a Tdi but I am a Tdi beach user and might be a bit biased to them.If you do go for a Tdi get it with the 12" Aussie mono coil instead of the dual field, they are a lot better, performance wise for the beach.

On another note the new 13"x11" mono coil that will be offered on the ATX just might make performance between the two machines more equal.