I have been seriously considering purchasing a new GPX 4800 at the current reduced price. Seems like a good deal to me. Almost a 5000 for $1800 less. I have also been reading some good reports on the ATX's smooth operation and ability to find small nuggets. I know not to expect the ATX to compare to a 4800/5000, but it is roughly $1850 less than the special price 4800. What am I going to get for my $1850 if I buy the 4800 instead of the ATX? More depth? Is that basically it? Maybe knowing I have the best available detector (or close) is worth $1850. That may be my answer.

I'd appreciate any comments

Hey hawkeye, do not take the following personally. I am answering the question generically for anyone who may be reading and I am specifically speaking to people in the United States (in case Aussies are lurking).

It is all about how much success you are currently having finding gold with a metal detector. If the amount of gold nuggets you have found so far with a metal detector is measured in ounces than the GPX 4800 is the better investment. The likelihood is you can pay for the difference in gold.

If you do not have a proven history as a successful prospector than you simply may be spending extra money to not find gold. I figure the vast majority of nugget detectors in the US never pay for themselves ever. They get bought but never get used seriously enough to keep up with battery costs let alone paying for the detector.

All you ever pay for in a detector is an edge in recovering targets. Usually that means that extra inch, or simply the ability to ignore rocks another detector beeps on. But the extra capability means nothing if not put to practical use in a good location.

If you constantly hunt ground where bedrock is a foot or less the ATX is going to do a good job. If the gold in the location tends to be small, like a couple grams or less, the ATX is going to do a good job.

The deeper the ground and the bigger the nuggets, the better the GPX looks by comparison.

For me personally there is another factor. Pure ergonomics. When I go to Alaska this summer aiming to go detecting every day for 30 days for as many hours as I can each day, I would rather be handling the GPX from a physical aspect. The detector on arm is lighter, and I can change batteries or coils with no fuss, no muss. I have hundreds of coil options. For this reason only if both detectors had identical performance and an identical price I would be using the GPX. And for this reason only I am willing to pay more money for a GPX.

If Garrett comes out with an ATX model that weighs around four pounds or less in a well balanced package that forgoes the special connectors on coils and headphones in lieu of standard connectors and a single drop in battery - and that has a good set of light weight coils - now I may very well put the GPX aside even if it might be the better unit for some gold in some conditions. For me the detector is a work tool and if it can measurably improve my working conditions and comfort than it may mean I hunt more and longer, and that may mean more gold. That is the detector I am waiting for, whether it be from Garrett, Minelab, or someone else

Just my thoughts and applying my mental filters as regards detectors. You do have to think hard about and apply your own wants and needs.

This may help - I am going to be testing a GPX against an ATX all day tomorrow! So I may have more to add to this discussion on Friday. In fact, you can count on it.

• Like 1

If you nugget hunt a real often get the 4800. Consider resale and trade in. A 4800 with a small mono coil will match the ATX on small gold ( in my opinion). I don't know of any way an ATX can be set up to match any GPX for depth. DISCLAIMER: I have only spent about 5 minutes wit the ATX.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

I'm all for seeing what the ML 2300 is capable of and the US pricing.  On the Bendigold website they showed a Au. price of $3995...then again I might stay with my GPX 4500 that is still a great machine..............Idaho Al

Hmmm, on one hand nothing new to report but I respect the ATX more than ever now after yesterday. It fares very well compared to the GPX 5000 and it makes it very difficult for me when engaging in the price vs payoff discussion. When you take price out of the equation the answer is clear. I have both and if I have to grab one to go prospecting I am grabbing the GPX. But the performance is close enough that I struggle with telling more casual detectorists they need to spend twice as much to get a GPX - almost three times as much in the case of the GPX 5000.

I am mulling this over and am finally going to post my definitive ATX vs GPX review. I have been holding off until I had more time on the ATX but by now I have more hours on it than all but a handful of people. Look for a review tomorrow.

Hey Steve...

On the ATX...I almost sold mine...but somthing kept telling me its too good a machine to let go...You can just tell when you run it its a modern 21st century P.I..

I have some weight issues with it I have not yet worked out but again its cutting edge in my opinion..

just gotta figure out a way to get the weight down...

I actually love that garrett has gave us 3 fine detectors in the last couple of year's...

and to think I had them dismissed a few years back as not going no where,,,LOL!!

Maybe tesoro can surprise us next?????

Keith

Hey Steve, I just finished reading your 5000 vs ATX review. It was very informative. I have concluded that the ATX is a detector that suits my type of detecting and will be effective. I, too, find it strange that Garrett put their electronics in a tank, but it is what it is for now. I'll just have to invest in a Pro Swing and wait for the civilian version. Thanks.