GPAA Claims on the Kenai

I'm using these cold winter months to plan my trip to Alaska this summer.  I plan to hit some of the GPAA claims on the Kenai peninsula.  I am a GPAA member and have their latest guide, so I have that basic info and know I will need permits to dredge, highbank or power sluice.  I would like for anyone with actual experience on any of these claims( Ken & Brian, Shirley E, Northlander #2, and Demaree) to provide some input as what to expect, such as physical access, land or water (big stream or little stream, deep or shallow) conditions or anything that would help me prepare.  Pictures would be great if you care to post some. 

I place a high value on the personal experiences of others.  Not trying to get rich, although that's not a bad thing; just looking for a little gold to say I was successful.  I do plan to take my detector also, a White's MXT, but that's not my primary tool. Yes, I know it's not the best, but you know what they say about a blind squirrel. 

I will be looking into some camping areas also for my fifth-wheel trailer.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Demaree is located along Crescent Creek, very near the Crescent Creek Campground and adjacent to the public area.  Shirley E  is not directly on Quartz Creek, but looks to be a few hundred feet above it. The GPAA guide says to take the material down to the creek to process.  Northlander #2 & Ken and Brian are close together along Colorado Creek about a half mile off the Seward Hwy across from the Summit Lake Lodge.  Hope this helps identify the locations.

I was able to see these also with the Land Matters website.  Good to see all of the other claims near them.  Good tool

High Chris, I did some prospecting years ago on some of those claims. I can tell you they are poor at best.

The Dameree claim is not good to dredge. The permit is free but the state requires a 50.00 commercial use fee there.

As far as the Shirley  E. I never figured out why that is a claim. Very poor.

The best bet is the Northlander # 2 on Colorado Creek. You should get descent gold from that one. Also the Tenderfoot camp ground is across the Seward Highway behind Summit Lake Lodge. I really like this campground and it usually has available space. Plus the state remodeled it two years ago.And Summit Lodge has good food and a excellent ice cream shop. I always stop for the ice cream. Don't pass the ice cream. Did I mention the ice cream. Moose Tracks is my favorite.

You should also look into the public prospecting areas. http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-public-sites/sites/public-mining-site-list.htm

You should get a copy of this book Rockhounding Alaska

51z2SSTL6vL._AA160_.jpg

It has info on all the state prospecting sites as well as other minerals and fossils that will be in the area you are traveling.

Oh by the way the water in Alaska is a wee bit nippy. Might want a dry suit.

• Like 2

OK, got the book on order.  Picked one for Montana last summer.  Also plan on getting the next issue of Mileposts before I travel.  If the ice cream is good at that place and there's a RV campground, my wife make it our summer home.  At least some gold is nearby! :D