Minelab GPX Small Lightweight Battery

There appears to be a new genuine by Minelab smaller battery option available for the GPX series. Oddly enough it is not on the Minelab site and no reference to it anywhere except one Australian dealer http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-gpx-small-lightweight-battery/

Part number 3011-0332 and less than half the weight, 18.6 wH good for around three hours.

post-1-0-13679700-1454288186_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Beauty, would be even more handy if it came with wireless. The wireless on the Z has spoilt me, for sure.

Steve

Do you remember when you could buy what was called a half battery. It looked like half the size of the standard one and I'd say this looks like a half size as the other. The battery then and now are different in looks and what's inside of the housing. You still have the power cable connection to deal with. 

Chuck

You are thinking of the old SD/GP lead acid batteries, which came in full size and then a smaller half size version. This new one is a half size version of the GPX Li-Ion batteries. SD/GP series 4 pin power systems are not compatible with GPX 5 pin power systems without modification.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, the plot thickens. The link AussieMatt provided above is now dead. The new battery is now listed on the main accessory page as "Available in Australia Only" http://www.minelab.com/usa/accessories-1/by-detector/gpx-series-#sec259227

Well, aren't you guys (blokes) special!

post-1-0-22460400-1455078981_thumb.jpeg

• 8 months later...

Hello - some of you know me, but for those of you who don't I am a relic hunter from the East Coast where we use GPX series detectors to find Civil War relics.   I also am a dealer of Minelab and other brands, so this new product was of interest to me when I first heard about it.   

We finally were able to get our hands on some of these new batteries....  last week just before the fall Diggin' in Virginia relic hunt we recieved the first of our shipment of them and were able to put one to the test, and I thought you all might want to hear some feedback from some hands on time with it.

The Diggin' in Virginia hunts are three day events that are basically sunrise to sunset hunts which makes a great place to test a product like this one.     Our continuous run time with a 15x12 SEF hanging on the end of the lower rod was 4.5 hours.   So at least when new, a pair of these should be able to get you through a normal day.   

Size wise and weight wise its really similiar to the Gold Screamer.... but it does lack the Goldscreamer's adjustable amplifier control.    

Also, the cover is designed in such a way that either this small battery or a full size "stock" battery can be adapted to fit into it.    

I hope that helps if anyone is interested in them.

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_2066.JPG

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hey Steve and All,

They are available now, we have a limited amount of them.  You can only get the Combo right now, not just the battery alone.  

https://www.robsdetectors.com/minelab-gpx-small-battery-control-box-cover-pouch/

GPXsmallbattery1.jpg

$162.00 plus shipping is the MAP price.  

$147.00 for the battery alone when they are available.  The small battery lasts around 3 hours and is 46% lighter than the GPX stock battery.  7.4v 18.6Wh.

Keep in mind, you will need the small cord if you don't want to use the stock, longer curly cord.  Minelab talked about having a small cord made and packed with the battery combo, but looks like they don't yet.  We have a handful of the small 16" Coiltek GPX 5 pin cords, but I see them going really quickly! 

Hope this helps a bit,

• Like 1