Rye Patch Ron

Metal Detecting For Gold Nuggets And Old Coin’s And Relic’s

13 posts in this topic

Ron, that is a very nice summary of the components that create detecting success.

fred

1 person likes this

Looks like page one of what should be many chapters.

2 people like this

“Look of a reason to dig not for an excuse not to dig”

Don`t you wish after a tiring, hot day you could remember that one rule rather than the cold drink that is waiting. Bloody cold drink wins most the time, but heh gives you a dig for first up in next morn.

2 people like this

I'll take useful information where ever I can get it as I am striving to become an average detectorist then someday I can become a pro.

4 people like this

I believe Rye Patch Ron has some very good information for anyone starting out or is average in using a metal detector. When you become a professional  is when you learn to read between the lines on information that anyone may offer you on your search to better yourself. In fact that applies to anything a person reads today.

2 people like this

Having known Ron for many years, I can certainly vouch for his sincerity and genuine effort to contribute to the knowledge base that makes this such a great forum. He has a wealth of experience to share with those eager to learn about our fantastic hobby. I for one am proud to call him a friend and have the privilege of serving with him on Team Nugget Busters for Gerry's Detectors, one of the best detector dealers on the planet. Anyone can check Gerry's track record and see that he is one of the highest volume dealers, second to none in customer service, and the fact that he doesn't even advertise in any of the gold magazines itself should speak volumes. Sorry Steve, but I just had to get my blatant plug in there!

3 people like this

Crikey, I feel like a Pro at times but then I remember the wife`s rolling pin. Why`s everyone looking at me !!!!!!!

Great write-up Ron! I am a repeat offender and have been personally trained by Gerry, Ron and Lunk in 3 different 3-day training classes and learned many new things each time.  When I read Ron's words, I found myself nodding YES in every paragraph. I bought my first GPX and didn't have the benefit of professional training and guess what...I didn't find any gold! That quickly changed after my first training class and I took alot of notes that I still use today to refresh my memory after a long winter in Colorado. I have built quite a library and still read information on detecting like a new kid in a library. I'm still learning from the pros and will always be open to new tips. Thank you for your service to the nugget hunting profession. :D  :minelab: = :nugget:

Bill

1 person likes this

• Similar Content

• By Reno Chris
      So while lots of folks were able to make the Las Vegas GPAA gold show that concluded Sunday afternoon, many could not make it. This year the GPAA has experimented with a couple things including a live broadcast of interviews with various dealers and other folks. Some of it is pretty good, while other parts are so-so, but its easy enough to fast forward through parts you dont care about. There are a lot of interesting people at these shows and they got some very interesting and entertaining interviews. There are interviews with Bill Southern, the Pomrenke boys from Bearing Sea Gold, Shannon Poe from AMRA, Debbie Smikoski from Minelab (who talks about the GM 1000 with Kevin), Dave Variboff from Goldbay (who sells millions worth of gold specimens) and lots of other folks in the mining and prospecting business. On the second day, because they were running out of good people to interview, they even interviewed me. There is a lot of good information here and it is all saved, but the way facebook archives this stuff, its not that easy to find.
      So here is how you can find it if you want to look in -
      Go to:
      https://www.facebook.com/pg/GoldProspectors/videos/?ref=page_internal
      The videos are not fully labeled, but if you hover over them with your cursor and look at the length, the one that is 1:25:17 long is the one with me in it, I appear at the 45 minute mark, Debbie Smikoski from Minelab follows me at the 1:07:39 mark. A lot of the time before me on the video is Shannon Poe from American Mining Rights Assn. (AMRA). Other folks like Bill southern, Dave Variboff and others are all on the other videos from this weekend. Its worth checking out - its not all 5 star entertainment and information, but there is some really good stuff there. 
    • By Cabin Fever
      I found my first ringed bullet yesterday hunting one of our older parks and I'm trying to put a date on it.   It's hard to find anything older then the 1880s around here although this park is showing some promise with this bullet and my friends 1836 Capped Bust Dime that shocked us last week.  Any help identifying and dating this bullet would be appreciated.   My best guess is that it's about 38 caliber and it weighs 12.46 grams or about 192 grains.  Picked up a couple of Indians, a 16s wheat and a 1908 V Nickel that cleaned up pretty nice along with the bullet. 
      Edit: I measured the ringed end and came up with 5/16 one way and a hair under a half inch the other.
      Bryan

• By mn90403
      We all seem to use a fair bit of technology these days in the pursuit of gold and pleasure.  We have detectors, maps, gps's, phones, books, scans, photos, videos, cameras, stories, etc. etc. not to mention our computers and drives we use to record and back these things up.  Some are mobile and some stay at our homes and some are in the cloud.
      A few months ago one of my devices stopped working and I know I lost some data.  It is data I may not 'need' but without it I don't have it as a record.  I may have lost some find points for the Minelab 3030 on XChange2 because I didn't have a backup of the backup so to say.  Steve sent me some private messages about it but I think it would be a good topic to help us review, store and share our data with someone or not lose it easily.
      What do you do with your computer backups?  Do you just backup online?  When you travel, how do you sync your data so that all files and pictures are current on your devices?  How do you purge your duplicates so you don't run out of storage space on your external and internal memory?  How do you prepare for a trip and what do you do when you come back from a trip?
      I hope to copy someone's procedure or modify mine to a more simple system.
      Mitchel
    • By Franck RACINE
      Hi, i'am new in this forum, i have some questions for steve  Herschbach       
      First, sorry for my poor english, but i'am a froggy French, and you know Frenchies are very bad for english     ....

I sent this from Ecuador, town of PUYO, between Llanganati Mountain and Amazonic Forest..
      I want to go prespecting here for native Gold, here isn't any treasur nor coin and jewelry or militaria to find, just gold, a lot of river contains gold all around Llanganati Mountain, but the soil is mineralised due to the volcanos (here they are everywhere) and contains lot of black ferous stone.. So i'am looking for a PI detector. I spent lot of time in many forums to take all the informations i could found, in fine i saw 3 detectors that can be good for my purpose, i juste want steve to tell me if my conclusions are good or not and help me to make my choice.

The 3 detectors i'am looking for are : Minelab SDC 2300 - GARRETT ATX - Minelab GPX 5000
      The problem is that here in Ecuador the prices are more expensive than in USA :
      Minelab SDC 2300 cost 4000$ - GARRETT ATX cost 4000$  - Minelab GPX 5000 cost 6900$.

The conclusions of my search in forums is that :

- SDC 2300 is good for very small and small Nuggets and quiet good for Medium Nuggets.
      - ATX and GPX 5000 are quiet good for small Nuggets and good for Medium and large Nuggets.

The ATX seem to have the same capabilities than the GPX5000 for less money and it is waterproof like the sdc2300 (here we have lot of hard rain and i want to prospect in and around rivers).
      So i think the ATX seem to be my favorite but i can't make a choice anyway between ATX and SDC. SDC seem to be very resistant for prospecting in mountain in case of fall and chocks and more easy to use for somebody without lot of detector experience like me... GPX seem to be the more powerful but it cost 3000$ more, and i don't know if it is very resistant to the rain and if i can put the coil in the water to prospect the bank of the rivers.

So my questions are :
      - SDC can really be good for other kind of Nuggets than very small one's ?
      - ATX really more complete than SDC2300 for all kind of Nuggets and what about very small Nuggets ?
      - GPX5000 remain the best overall and it's better to pay 3000$ more to have this one ?

What do you think about that and what could be your advise for helping me to make a choice between those detectors ??

Or Maybe you know an other detector better than those 3 for my purpose ??

Thank you very much for your response

Franck RACINE
    • By Ridge Runner
      I find myself nugget hunting alone all the time. The trouble here in Texas it's next to nothing in the way of gold to be found. You find most people coin hunting and some relic hunting. If you said anything about nugget hunting I'm sure they wouldn't know what you're talking about.
      I've got a nugget hunting trip plan and been talking with a friend in another state that did hunt but I don't believe will ever again.
      So tell me if you going it alone and if not then how.
      Chuck
    • By DDancer
      Well I for one, and possibly a few others here in the States, am looking forward towards a new gold season down under.
      I know this subject has come up in the forum before, Taking your detector with you overseas, but its not been a stand alone topic and I have been unable to dig it out of the old topics where this issue has been discussed easily.  So I've brought it up this way so maybe it'll be easier for others to find in the future when the concern comes up.  Our detectors and associated gear are rather a pricey point of pride regardless of whether your just coin shooting or going bush.  I am asking all with experience in this arena to pitch a comment so as that future traveler can find a comfortable accommodation on how to carry their gear.
      My way is not the best way but it works well and I understand the risks.  Having taken my gear, both prospecting and coin shooter, overseas many times now~ primarily to Australia but also Japan and Europe~ I simply break it down and pack it well in the suit case as check bags.  I carry the control box with me on-board with my carry on and in the case of the Zed I tape off the contacts of the batteries and carry them as well and declare them at the check in, present them for inspection *sometimes they re-tape them*, and go on about my business.  With the advent of lithium batteries its important that you do check with the air carriers you plan to use on any limitations and I suggest strongly that you discharge the batteries to at least 50% prior to travel.  This lessens the chance of any problems with the batteries and its a feel good you can tell the front desk if asked.  Lead acid batteries like the old Humpy for ML's older SD/GP series should just be purchased on the other side as they are cheap enough however I have gotten them thru in check bags as well in the past.  Other power supplies can be treated similarly.
      Now having said that there is the type of luggage to look for when traveling.  First off measure the longest and widest parts of your detector or other gear, like a small pick, so you can obtain the right size bag.  Look for one that has a solid back frame, soft frame luggage will not do, or if you have the  cash a hard case.  Bear in mind that you want to keep all bags under 50 lbs or you will run into fees and in some cases not be allowed to take them at all. Hard cases and Otter boxes are heavy. Due to weight  I've had to repack a few times right at the counter just to get things thru even wear extra coats and put socks in my pockets to get thru.  In the case of Australia you will want two cases however one can be smaller.  Also look for something with solidly mounted wheels and collapsible drag handle.  Expect to transfer planes~ those wheels will be important.  I also pack an extra belt into the outer pocket of one so I can strap them together at the soft handles for transport, notch it to fit ahead of time as you wont have your pocket knife with you when the time comes.  The solid frame back is needed to protect from flexure and impacts as the baggage is handled~ and it will be~ and your cloths will be the packing.  Got bags, ok, so lets pack.
      A towel, pants or jacket is the first layer about an inch of padding off the rear frame.  Now the coil/coils with clothes between them.  Rods go in towards the middle.  Use socks and shirts around the outter sides of the bag and between gear pieces.  If you are taking a pick tuck it to the side and wrap it with jeans.  *Just stick it down a leg and wrap the top well*.  Your last layer will be mostly cloths about 4 inches thick and when I carry my pan it sits on top.  As I said with Australia I carry two bags.  I split my detector assemblies/gear and coil between them.  Someone get nosy or a bag gets lost its only a partial loss and cheaper to replace than if a whole bag goes for walk about.  Having stuff stolen is the Risk and should never be taken lightly.  I know you wont like I wont.... its a pricey point of pride.  The risk is also why I carry the control box.  In the case of thieves they wont want the bits.... usually.  Lost bags are in the next paragraph.
      Last point.  Use those identity tags at the front desk and mark your bags with a distinctive bit of something ( ribbon, bungie, spray paint, ect).  I have never lost a bag but they have wandered.  That tag and bit of distinctive something, in my case its a chunk of black and white bungie knotted very securely to the handle, aid greatly in tracking down your wandering luggage.  On the carousel at the airport all that luggage looks the same as well.  Also TAKE A PICTURE of your bags and keep it on your camera or phone.  Again if you have ever lost a bag when you go to report it they are going to give you a placard with a whole bunch of luggage and ask you what it looks like... if your bags are new then its confusing.  Always expect to stay a day or so at your final destination.  Why?  Because if that bag(s) wander you'll need to stick around for them to catch up.  Airlines have always been good about getting my stuff to me even if I have had to wait a day or so... dont get frustrated~ just keep it in stride, I know your tired and its been a long flight~ if you end up having to track you bags back to you.  Its not the person at the kiosk who needs to be your lightning rod if things go poorly.  Remember they work for a living too.
      Now having said all that there apparently are some new restrictions for carry on electronics so I will add this : Check your route and avoid any legs that go thru the middle east or Africa.  Lately I've been flying Quantus out of Dallas to get to Sydney but there are alternate routes that take one thru Dubia and a couple of other spots.  The A380 aircraft is a good ride,  I kinda miss the 747, so plan appropriately as with the new restrictions you may be forced to pack everything in your check bags.  Keep your self informed and pack well.  All will be good ;)

Thanks for reading.  DD