Like New White's Bigfoot Coil Only $525!

There is no need for schematics. The Bigfoot is just a coil with a figure 8 winding, no secret about how it is made. The secret is in how to make them by hand and sell them for a profit. Most companies want something more amenable to mass production. There has also been a lack of faith in pricing them high enough. I have a 9" x 5" coil for the CTX that Coiltek sells for $399 but Jimmy and White's figured a specialty wound 18" x 3" coil was worth far less. The reality however is that when they were made they really were not a big seller. The fame came after they went out of production.

I sold quite a few when I was a dealer in the early 90's. Between myself, parents, sibling and her husband. and hunting buddies, I know there was at least 15 between us. I'm still hunting with two buddies that use them 25 years later. 

I sold some also Tom. But it was still a niche item carried by few dealers no matter how you cut it. White's only for starters, and often only dealers in Jimmy's distribution area. Over the years plenty were sold though, as the numbers that come up for sale used will attest.

Whatever, you and I got ours! ?

Ive got 2 Bigfoot coils that have the little black boxes on them by the connector so you can switch between older and newer 6.59 whites beepers-they both work on my spectrum xlt just fine-anyone interested in one ? Make me an offer I cant refuse :smile: Mike C...:ph34r:

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

There is no need for schematics. The Bigfoot is just a coil with a figure 8 winding, no secret about how it is made. The secret is in how to make them by hand and sell them for a profit. Most companies want something more amenable to mass production. There has also been a lack of faith in pricing them high enough. I have a 9" x 5" coil for the CTX that Coiltek sells for $399 but Jimmy and White's figured a specialty wound 18" x 3" coil was worth far less. The reality however is that when they were made they really were not a big seller. The fame came after they went out of production.

I understand that part but in a coil there is usually a small circuit board that has something to do with the tuning of the coil... Didn't the Bigfoot have something like that as well?

Well, many coils are made to a pretty tight tolerance but not perfect, so a small tuning board or components are often included in the coil for final tuning. It may be nothing more than a couple capacitors. Nothing proprietary about the Bigfoot that I am aware of.

Steve ...... and the gang. I am relaxing in my easy chair (lap-top front and center!!) grinning from ear to ear. "Like New Whites BigFoot Coil Only $525!" Within hours of reading those words I purchased that BigFoot Coil and did not even consider trying to negotiate a lower price. Actually, I asked a friend with better computer skills to make the purchase, then paid him the money. It is as advertised in excellent condition and works just fine. It is at this time sitting on a shelf (with lower shaft in place) but has not been used since the day that I took it out of the box. Why in the world would I do that? Well the truth is I have another BigFoot Coil, been using it for over ten years. And Steve, my BigFoot Coil is attached to a DFX just as yours is. I agree with you that they are a great combination for coins and jewelry in parks and playgrounds. They make that type of detecting so efficient that the thought of being without mine if something should go awry was more than I could take!!!!  So, I just had to have the one that started this thread. Well, that's the story of where that BigFoot Coil ended up. I sleep better at night knowing it is there if I need it.

Thank you, Steve ,for putting this whole thing together!!! Thanks to all who contribute by sharing their knowledge and experience.

• Like 1