Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Herschbach

New Forum Alternate Themes / Color Options

5 posts in this topic

I have always wanted to do this but just never found the right options. sjmpainter however contacted me and asked about perhaps making the forum darker as it was a bit bright for his eyes on whatever device he is using. I look at the forum on my iPad in the dark sometimes and have to agree, though for regular light it is just fine. Most people seem to light the lighter brighter theme compared to the old one.

No matter what a single color scheme can't please everyone, but what if you had alternatives you could choose from. Well now you do!

Go the the very bottom of the forum and look for the "Theme" button. It was not there before. The list you see when you click on it has Normal (Default) which is this forum theme. There are now two alternatives, one which can be highly customized.

Custom Color lets you each pick your own custom color theme for whatever suits you best. The key is this little Paintbrush symbol both in this theme and the next one I will tell you about:

paint.jpg.14e320bbd7681e8dd41dac4761e955

When you click on that button you will see a color palette pop up topside that will pick both the primary and secondary theme colors:

You can make some pretty crazy and downright ugly combinations, but the neat part is they are yours and yours alone, and the forum will remember your settings.

customcolors1.jpg.b1bb93eaf22e60374f4ac1

customgreen.jpg.0334906a1f0b63a58d53ac9e

Now, the one thing you can't change is the main forum body background which is still light. So there is yet another theme you can choose using the Theme button, the Dark Theme. I like this one, based on a gaming theme, and with four choices of background image, though the differences are subtle. The main thing is the entire theme is dark and works real well viewing the forum in a dark room.

darktheme.jpg.07150653beca21cbbd539ee381

OK, word of warning. These are custom themes and so the layout is different than the Normal theme. If Invision makes an update to the software the Normal theme will always work, but custom themes can break and have issues until an update is also issued for them, and there may be a lag. Second, the Browse and Activity buttons in the upper right on these themes are hover drop down menus when used with a mouse. On a touch screen there is no hover function and so some menu navigation options are missing. The key thing to remember if having issues of any sort is just go back down to the bottom and select the Normal theme again to get you back here. You can  switch themes at any time depending on your mood and ambient lighting situation.

I have to say, I think that is just purty darn neat. Thanks sjmpainter for prodding me to finally get this going, as it was something I wanted to do with the new software anyway.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have to say, I think that is just purty darn neat. Thanks sjmpainter for prodding me to finally get this going, as it was something I wanted to do with the new software anyway.

Guy's this is a really fun feature. Take a little time to explore the new theme options get crazy and have fun with them see if any peak your interest. I noticed you can set the themes up and scroll between the three and any selections are saved so you can bounce back and forth between the themes and see the changes. And if you don't like any of it just click back to the default and poof ground zero.

Steve, knowing you are having a ton of fun working your butt off to set the rest of us up with a really cool forum to hang out on is really AWSOM.

Thanks.

1 person likes this

I like the dark theme. It's easy on your eyes early in the morning.

Both of the forum alternate themes were updated this morning to apply various bug fixes.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      New Member Signup - Click Here!      Lost Password - Click Here!
      Forum Tips & Tricks
      The Classifieds ad forum is provided as a free service for active, involved forum members. Members will have to have made at least ten posts on the other forums before being allowed to post in the Classifieds. Herschbach Enterprises is not responsible for issues resulting from the use of the Classifieds forum. As always, buyer beware!
      No negative comments. If you see an issue, contact the seller or a moderator via pm. Notify everyone when the item has been sold. Use the edit function to modify the original post to do so or add a post saying the item has been sold. Protect yourself. Be careful about giving any sensitive information to prospective buyers. Advertising deemed inappropriate or out of place for any reason may be deleted without warning. The standard Forum Terms of Use apply. Dealers are welcome as long as the items advertised are somehow involved in products related to the prospecting and metal detecting world. Dealers must identify themselves as such. I ask that dealer ads be limited to genuine special deals like closeouts and used detectors. See my general policy regarding dealers for details.

The Classifieds is designed to protect you from unwelcome contact. Only registered forum members can contact you via PM (Personal Messaging). This does mean if you want people who are not forum members to be able to contact you that you need to put that information in your ad.

Be as descriptive as possible and always try to include clear pictures of clean items. Many ads are ruined by blurry pictures or not taking the time to clean items before sale. Be sure to make note of any remaining transferable warranty, if any.

Review your ad one last time after you place it to be sure everything is accurate. You have the ability to edit it at any time.
      Go to your ad and at bottom next to quote button hit edit You should be able to edit everything there, including the title. The Prefix selection lets you put colored For Sale, Wanted, and other banners on your ad. Put up a Sold banner when your item sells or ends and the ad will be deleted within a couple days. Ads may be deleted by the admin after 90 days if no attempt is made to update them or otherwise indicate they are still active. A big tool for sellers is the eBay sold listings. Go to eBay and search for what you plan on selling. Then click the "used" box on left. Then click the "sold listings" box. Now you can see all similar items that sold recently and what they sold for, giving you a realistic way of checking current market value. Oddball items unfortunately may not have enough sales volume to get help this way.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      When I created the Metal Detecting & Prospecting Classifieds the forum was smaller and less busy. I set it up initially so that any forum member can post in the Classifieds.
      So far that has worked well, or at least I have had no complaints. However, I am seeing a definite uptick in the number of people who join the forum for the sole purpose of placing an ad.
      This is in theory a good thing - new forum members! Unfortunately it does mean people with no forum history at all can place an ad one minute after joining, and that invites scammers.
      I have therefore just added a provision whereby only forum members who have made at least two posts on other forums can place an ad in the Classifieds. This is a free service intended for forum members in good standing, and a benefit for active, posting members. That provides for at least a minimal level of protection from someone trying to scam other forum members. I will generally be able to spot people who join and make a couple worthless posts for no other reason than to bump the count to place an ad.
      Anyway, this is kind of provisional, and I can remove the requirement, or make it more difficult by raising the post requirement even higher. The bottom line is if everyone is very careful to properly vet potential purchases this is not necessary, but I do worry a bit about somebody being taken advantage of and want to do what is reasonable to try and prevent that without being too draconian.
      Am I being to paranoid? Everyone comfortable with it the way it has been? Or is a post limit a good idea? Thoughts, opinions, feedback? 
    • By mn90403
      This morning I was greeted by a message from Google.  It asked me to review my privacy settings.  
      Many of us share photos and links and some are posted on forums with a link from Google Photos.  Location can be important on some pictures.  You don't want to give up your patch without knowing it.
      There is the ability to disable geo location.  You may want to review it. 
      Here is the setting:
      Remove geo location in items shared by link
      Affects items shared by link but not by other means.   Mitchel  
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, As you may have seen Photobucket have disabled me from sharing my pics with you. After using Photobucket to store my photos & share them around the world on various forums & sites for the last 11 years they now want me to pay them US$399 a year to carry on doing so. Not wanting to do this & if it comes down to it I will cancel my account & take down my photos. I have a feeling that I wont be able to take down my pics as I think they own them once up on their site.
      What sites do you guys use or recommend to share your pics, & do you have to pay a fee for doing so. Cheers.
      JW  
    • By Steve Herschbach
      One thing that really irritates me on the majority of other forums is the censorship when it comes to linking to other forums. As if people are too stupid to figure out that other forums exist, which is insulting. More to the point it severely limits the ability to give people good information wherever it exists, which is my main goal on this forum.
      With this in mind I do actually request that if forum members see anything anywhere that may be of genuine interest to other forum members then please post about it and link to it. Do not copy from other websites and post here unless you are pretty sure that is ok. When in doubt I post a good excerpt and then reference the complete original, as is customary on the internet with news sites. The only real limitation is please stay on topic.
      Anyway, if you see a thread on another forum (or anywhere else for that matter) and think it is of exceptionally high quality as far as hard information goes then please let me and everyone else know.
      Thanks!
      P.S. Do remember that some forums cannot be seen unless a person is a member. No problem linking to them but you probably should do your best to describe what you are linking to and if it really is good enough for people to have to join to see it.
    • By Rick Kempf
       I usually visit this site by using that
      'untead comtent" button in the upper right-hand corner – it's not very large – I guess that's why I only noticed it about six months ago 
      The only problem is when I click on the title  of the post from the list it takes me to the beginning of the thread - not to the latest message. I thought of sending a p.m. to Steve about it. This morning I noticed in the lower left-hand corner of each of the posts that are listed - there's a little  button with the face of the clock and "X hours ago" – if you push that button it takes you to the latest post - duh. I hate it when I'm dim.