Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Herschbach

New Forum Alternate Themes / Color Options

5 posts in this topic

I have always wanted to do this but just never found the right options. sjmpainter however contacted me and asked about perhaps making the forum darker as it was a bit bright for his eyes on whatever device he is using. I look at the forum on my iPad in the dark sometimes and have to agree, though for regular light it is just fine. Most people seem to light the lighter brighter theme compared to the old one.

No matter what a single color scheme can't please everyone, but what if you had alternatives you could choose from. Well now you do!

Go the the very bottom of the forum and look for the "Theme" button. It was not there before. The list you see when you click on it has Normal (Default) which is this forum theme. There are now two alternatives, one which can be highly customized.

Custom Color lets you each pick your own custom color theme for whatever suits you best. The key is this little Paintbrush symbol both in this theme and the next one I will tell you about:

paint.jpg.14e320bbd7681e8dd41dac4761e955

When you click on that button you will see a color palette pop up topside that will pick both the primary and secondary theme colors:

You can make some pretty crazy and downright ugly combinations, but the neat part is they are yours and yours alone, and the forum will remember your settings.

customcolors1.jpg.b1bb93eaf22e60374f4ac1

customgreen.jpg.0334906a1f0b63a58d53ac9e

Now, the one thing you can't change is the main forum body background which is still light. So there is yet another theme you can choose using the Theme button, the Dark Theme. I like this one, based on a gaming theme, and with four choices of background image, though the differences are subtle. The main thing is the entire theme is dark and works real well viewing the forum in a dark room.

darktheme.jpg.07150653beca21cbbd539ee381

OK, word of warning. These are custom themes and so the layout is different than the Normal theme. If Invision makes an update to the software the Normal theme will always work, but custom themes can break and have issues until an update is also issued for them, and there may be a lag. Second, the Browse and Activity buttons in the upper right on these themes are hover drop down menus when used with a mouse. On a touch screen there is no hover function and so some menu navigation options are missing. The key thing to remember if having issues of any sort is just go back down to the bottom and select the Normal theme again to get you back here. You can  switch themes at any time depending on your mood and ambient lighting situation.

I have to say, I think that is just purty darn neat. Thanks sjmpainter for prodding me to finally get this going, as it was something I wanted to do with the new software anyway.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have to say, I think that is just purty darn neat. Thanks sjmpainter for prodding me to finally get this going, as it was something I wanted to do with the new software anyway.

Guy's this is a really fun feature. Take a little time to explore the new theme options get crazy and have fun with them see if any peak your interest. I noticed you can set the themes up and scroll between the three and any selections are saved so you can bounce back and forth between the themes and see the changes. And if you don't like any of it just click back to the default and poof ground zero.

Steve, knowing you are having a ton of fun working your butt off to set the rest of us up with a really cool forum to hang out on is really AWSOM.

Thanks.

1 person likes this

I like the dark theme. It's easy on your eyes early in the morning.

Both of the forum alternate themes were updated this morning to apply various bug fixes.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Rick Kempf
       I usually visit this site by using that
      'untead comtent" button in the upper right-hand corner – it's not very large – I guess that's why I only noticed it about six months ago 
      The only problem is when I click on the title  of the post from the list it takes me to the beginning of the thread - not to the latest message. I thought of sending a p.m. to Steve about it. This morning I noticed in the lower left-hand corner of each of the posts that are listed - there's a little  button with the face of the clock and "X hours ago" – if you push that button it takes you to the latest post - duh. I hate it when I'm dim.
    • By Northeast
      Hi Steve, 
      I was going to inbox you this question but I thought others might be interested in the answer too. 
      When we post pics on here are they automatically stripped of the gps info?  I think I have read on another forum that they are but have tried to search the answer for here and nothing is coming up. 
      Thanks, Northeast. 
    • By Steve Herschbach
      New Member Signup - Click Here!      Lost Password - Click Here!
      Forum Tips & Tricks
      Welcome to the Rocks, Minerals, Gems & Geology forum! Anything remotely related to those subjects may be posted here. Forums for other subjects may be found here. The main goal here - to inform and educate. Please keep threads and posts on topic. Off topic posts may be moved or deleted without warning.
      This forum is unaffiliated with any dealers or manufacturers. If you see something interesting on another forum or anywhere else, please link to it. Mention any brands you like. The only goal here is to inform and anything interesting or informative is not only allowed but desired as long as it is on topic.
      While visiting this forum please act as if you are visiting my home. Treat others with decency and respect. Politics is not strictly prohibited but limit it to items of concern such as public meeting notices, comment periods, etc. No detector wars - every detector serves a purpose for somebody. For general editorial purposes this forum is treated as if it is a magazine.

A note about the Google Ads - I know we all hate ads but they pay for the website. All I can do is to promise not to go overboard with them. Special Note To Dealers - Dealers are welcome here, with minimal guidelines. Please read My Policy Regarding Dealers
      The Metal Detecting & Prospecting Forums are the only active forums. This is by design. If you are new to the forum, or been around but are looking for an old thread, look in the Forum Archive. Threads that have no activity for some time are closed and then moved to the appropriate forum in the Archive. This makes finding all old threads on a given subject relatively easy. However, you may not start new threads or post on old ones in the Archive. If you read an old thread and still have questions about it, simply start a new thread on one of the active forums.
      There are different color theme options available via a "Theme" link at the bottom of every page. Give it a try! However, some functions may be missing on alternate themes so if you run into issues just switch back to the Normal (Default) theme. If you have problems logging in or any other issues while on the forum Personal Message (PM) me or send me an email.
      Steve Herschbach
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Forum Tips & Tricks
      Welcome to the Gold Panning, Sluicing, Dredging, Drywashing, Etc forum! Anything remotely related to finding gold via mechanical mining methods may be posted here. Forums for other subjects may be found here. The main goal here - to inform and educate. Please keep threads and posts on topic. Off topic posts may be moved or deleted without warning.
      This forum is unaffiliated with any dealers or manufacturers. If you see something interesting on another forum or anywhere else, please link to it. Mention any brands you like. The only goal here is to inform and anything interesting or informative is not only allowed but desired as long as it is on topic.
      While visiting this forum please act as if you are visiting my home. Treat others with decency and respect. Politics is not strictly prohibited but limit it to items of concern such as public meeting notices, comment periods, etc. No detector wars - every detector serves a purpose for somebody. For general editorial purposes this forum is treated as if it is a magazine.

A note about the Google Ads - I know we all hate ads but they pay for the website. All I can do is to promise not to go overboard with them. Special Note To Dealers - Dealers are welcome here, with minimal guidelines. Please read My Policy Regarding Dealers
      The Metal Detecting & Prospecting Forums are the only active forums. This is by design. If you are new to the forum, or been around but are looking for an old thread, look in the Forum Archive. Threads that have no activity for some time are closed and then moved to the appropriate forum in the Archive. This makes finding all old threads on a given subject relatively easy. However, you may not start new threads or post on old ones in the Archive. If you read an old thread and still have questions about it, simply start a new thread on one of the active forums.
      There are different color theme options available via a "Theme" link at the bottom of every page. Give it a try! However, some functions may be missing on alternate themes so if you run into issues just switch back to the Normal (Default) theme. If you have problems logging in or any other issues while on the forum Personal Message (PM) me or send me an email.
      Steve Herschbach
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Forum Tips & Tricks
      Welcome to the Metal Detecting For Meteorites forum! Anything remotely related to metal detecting for meteorites may be posted here. Forums for other subjects may be found here. The main goal here - to inform and educate. Please keep threads and posts on topic. Off topic posts may be moved or deleted without warning.
      This forum is unaffiliated with any dealers or manufacturers. If you see something interesting on another forum or anywhere else, please link to it. Mention any brands you like. The only goal here is to inform and anything interesting or informative is not only allowed but desired as long as it is on topic.
      While visiting this forum please act as if you are visiting my home. Treat others with decency and respect. Politics is not strictly prohibited but limit it to items of concern such as public meeting notices, comment periods, etc. No detector wars - every detector serves a purpose for somebody. For general editorial purposes this forum is treated as if it is a magazine.

A note about the Google Ads - I know we all hate ads but they pay for the website. All I can do is to promise not to go overboard with them. Special Note To Dealers - Dealers are welcome here, with minimal guidelines. Please read My Policy Regarding Dealers
      The Metal Detecting & Prospecting Forums are the only active forums. This is by design. If you are new to the forum, or been around but are looking for an old thread, look in the Forum Archive. Threads that have no activity for some time are closed and then moved to the appropriate forum in the Archive. This makes finding all old threads on a given subject relatively easy. However, you may not start new threads or post on old ones in the Archive. If you read an old thread and still have questions about it, simply start a new thread on one of the active forums.
      There are different color theme options available via a "Theme" link at the bottom of every page. Give it a try! However, some functions may be missing on alternate themes so if you run into issues just switch back to the Normal (Default) theme. If you have problems logging in or any other issues while on the forum Personal Message (PM) me or send me an email.
      Steve Herschbach
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Forum Tips & Tricks
      Welcome to the Metal Detecting For Jewelry forum! Anything remotely related to metal detecting for jewelry may be posted here. Forums for other subjects may be found here. The main goal here - to inform and educate. Please keep threads and posts on topic. Off topic posts may be moved or deleted without warning.

Steve Herschbach