Dr. Erik Melchiorre To Speak At PCSC 2/19/16

The Prospectors Club of Southern California is pleased to announce that Dr. Erik Melchiorre will be the guest speaker at its monthly meeting on February 19, 2016.  The meeting is at the Downey Women's Club at 8 PM in Downey, California.  Club members begin setting up finds exhibits any time after 7 PM.  Refreshments are served at a break which is then followed by a raffle.

Guests are welcome and all are welcome to join and use club claims.

The title of Erik's talk is:  

Big Arizona Gold- The story of the Rich Hill and Quartzsite Districts

In addition Erik will take questions about Southern California gold.

Speaker Bio:

Dr. Erik Melchiorre was first introduced to gold panning at Boy Scout camp on the banks of the Stanislaus River, California. For four years on summer camp staff, he made his pocket money by cleaning out and panning dirt from corrugated drainpipe around Angels Camp and various back roads. Erik received his Bachelor of Science degree in Geology from the University of Southern California, where he was active in the Trojan Marching Band, R.O.T.C, and Delta Sigma Phi fraternity. Erik earned his Master of Science degree in Geology from Arizona State University. While in Arizona, he worked at the CyprusBagdad Copper Mine, and the Phelps Dodge Morenci Copper Mine. Erik completed his Ph.D. in Earth and Planetary Sciences at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. For the past ten years Erik has worked as Professor of Geology at California State University, San Bernardino. Erik and his students work on the geochemistry of ore deposits around the world, and have visited over 160 mines on five continents. Erik’s favorite field assistants are his wife Becky, and daughters Darwin and Gabrieila.

About PCSC:

https://www.facebook.com/PCSCDowney/

• Like 1

I did not attend, but the professor speaks at the Quartzsite Mertal Detector Club meetings on occasion; Erik is very knowledgeable and always has an excellent presentation. 

I have to say, Dr. Erik Melchiorre  is a great speaker and has lots to say about gold and nuggets. Really hope he comes back in 6 months and brings his xrf gun.  I learned a few things as well :)

He would like to hear from anyone who has found a 1 1/2 ounce or more nugget in the Quartzsite area. Seems like that is the biggest one he.s been able to document for a paper he writing on the area,

Erik was very good.  I've been to his office at the University but I had never heard his presentation.

He has a good grasp on the history of several areas and he is well travelled internationally.  He interacts well with miners which can be a problem for some University types.  He has Phelps Dodge experience and much interaction with placer miners also.

As Swifty mentioned, he is very interested in documenting Arizona gold history.  If you have a story about a big Arizona nugget he would like to know about it.  (I know Kevin Hoagland has found a very big one.  I heard him tell the story again yesterday.)

Mitchel

• The title was changed to Dr. Erik Melchiorre To Speak At PCSC 2/19/16