Detech 15" DD Coil For Minelab GPX

nvchris

I know people who do use DD coils on GPX detectors to increase their odds in thick ferrous trash, especially in tailing piles. Yes, it may be unreliable, but it is certainly more than 50% effective. One can argue the ins and outs of that being a good idea, but the idea that nobody anywhere uses a DD coil on a GPX to employ discrimination is simply not true. In particular, large numbers of relic hunters in the U.S. would disagree. Nugget detecting is not the whole world.

• Like 8

YubaJ
Kellyco is not the distributor for the Detech SD, GP,GPX Minelab machines,  I am and you can see the many coils that Detech provides at  www.creekmetaldetectorsales.com.

All coils are waterproof and carry a two year warranty.

Coils are available through the following western dealers with FREE shipping.

Chris Porter NV,  Miners Cache CA, The Gold Lady AZ,  NW Detector Sales OR.

or by contacting me directly.

Detech seems to be putting the most effort into the development of these new coils and some exciting new designs and sizes will soon be available.

Thanks for your interest!

Rege

The new Detech coil, along with the new offerings from NF and Coiltek are marketed towards uses as a performance increase and the most common comparison or question from prospective buyers is "will this be as good or close to the Zed".

My answer to them is, yes, this will get you as close to a Zed as possible today with your existing (pi) detector.

Chris

• Like 3

By way of clarity however it should also be pointed out that there are things no coil can do. The GPZ 7000 picks up gold a GPX cannot pick up because there is gold that falls outside the range of time constants a GPX can work with at the electronic level. In other words, the GPX just can't go there on certain gold and no coil in the world can make up for that.

The GPX thing versus GPZ thing reminds me of the MXT versus MX Sport fire that started on another thread. Two years ago the GPX 5000 was the undisputed best choice for the professional prospector. Honestly, at the current U.S. price of $4000 for the GPX 5000 Pro Pack there is still a pretty good case to be made there for power and versatility at a great price. GPZ? Yeah great, love mine, would not part with it. But toss it tomorrow and give me a GPX and you will still count me among the ranks of the successful. Anything that helps a GPX owner is a good thing.

Now, in my opinion (and mine counts for a lot here) this thread was about the 15" Detech DD coil and not about the relative merits of the GPZ and GPX so would you all please just let me have the last word here on that subject and get the thread back on track. The new Detech coil by all accounts I have read is a winner. Good for them, and more options the merrier I say.

• Like 5

Detechs as with most modern coils work, and work well. I think it all comes down to one's preferences for size, colour, shape, price, build quality, and a lot of the time if a particular coil just looks "cool".  But yes a coil can improve the detectors response to a particular range of targets, but it cannot alter it's base technology. 

I often get asked: what coil should I buy for my GPX5000 to match the SDC. Well that is not a simple answer. A 6" Detech mono is the closest you are going to get to SDC sensitivity, but it all comes down to the gold as I said in my very first YouTube comparison vid. If the gold is solid and lumpy the GPX and 6" combo will match and possibly even beat the SDC for depth, but on a prickly/specimen piece the SDC will have the edge. 

GPX users are really spoiled for choice which is a fantastic thing.

You want to find really tiny stuff - 6" Detech or Coiltek or 8x6" Sadie

You want to find really small stuff with a bit more depth potential - 8" Detech or Commander, 12" Evo, 12x7" NF or 11" Elite

You want a good patch hunting coil, good coverage, sensitivity, but lightweight - 12" Advantage, 15x10" Detech, 14x9" NF & Coiltek, 

You want a good coil with great sensitivity but extra depth on gram + pieces - 14" Ultra Detech, 15" Evo, 14" Elite

Or if you want to go deep on big lumps, think DD and Normal timing. 

This one was reported to be a 36 grammer at 20". Posted on Detech Australia Facebook page

15 spiral 36grams at 20 inches.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2016 at 10:27 PM, PhaseTech said:

GPX users are really spoiled for choice which is a fantastic thing.

You want to find really tiny stuff - 6" Detech or Coiltek or 8x6" Sadie

You want to find really small stuff with a bit more depth potential - 8" Detech or Commander, 12" Evo, 12x7" NF or 11" Elite

You want a good patch hunting coil, good coverage, sensitivity, but lightweight - 12" Advantage, 15x10" Detech, 14x9" NF & Coiltek, 

You want a good coil with great sensitivity but extra depth on gram + pieces - 14" Ultra Detech, 15" Evo, 14" Elite

Or if you want to go deep on big lumps, think DD and Normal timing. 

This one was reported to be a 36 grammer at 20". Posted on Detech Australia Facebook page

Just revisiting this as it fits right into my interest for coils for my GPX.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Not sure if these videos have already been posted, but good into for the 15" Ultimate users

• Like 1