Nice Surprise

Hello everyone,

Last summer while out hunting old mine dumps, we (wife & I) took one of her friends and son out on a hunt with us a few times and I made the agreement with them that anything I find find we would split down the middle. I was beepin -n- they were diggin. We were too close together for them to use a GB2 we had with us.

Well after a couple trips I bought her son 10x loop and gave him a couple little nice pieces in quartz and a little nugget to check out. All the other pieces went into a Tupperware tub until there was enough to do something with. Well low-n-behold, I got out one of the rocks that sounded off and did show a little gold on the outside and started to work the rock off it. I had no idea it contained such a nice nugget and it was a real 'nice surprise' when I discovered it ...a second time!!!!
post-86-0-54517000-1395714609_thumb.jpg post-86-0-55829400-1395714640_thumb.jpgpost-86-0-80753500-1395714671_thumb.jpgpost-86-0-78912500-1395714747_thumb.jpg

So.... greenhorn question here...... How much does the value of a specimen like this go up vs a hammered nugget that has been found in a creek bed? Spot +1/4.. Spot +1/2.. Spot +3/4... 2x Spot ????? I realize that it all depends on what some one will give you for it of course and I'm just looking for a fair ballpark. As of now, we have not decided to sell any so I am just looking to gain some knowledge. Thanks - NvAuMiner - Doug

• Like 1

What a beauty!

This is not the busiest Forum in the world, but there seems to be a certain focus developing of thoughtful, inquiring folks who want to share and learn without a lot of noise and nonsense.

Thanks for sharing. I suspect that there are a number of outlets for beautiful specimens like yours. It's not only the finding which requires a bit of digging, it can also be the marketing which can add great value.

I have sold a lot of gold specimens and I have concluded the price you get is governed mostly by exposure and time. Exposure, as in how many people can you make aware of it. And time, because getting a good price can take lots of time. The more people you can market to and the more time you have, the higher the price you can get. A third factor is general affordability. You can get a far higher price per ounce for small specimens than large simply because more people can afford the money and so you have more potential buyers. Getting a good price for big gold is hard because the number of potential buyers is so small.

I got my best prices by going high and putting the nugget on a web page where it can sit a year or two. Things like eBay auctions happen too fast to get good exposure and so limit the potential price. Better to just list and wait.

The price to a large degree you just wing by looking at websites and prices of similar stuff - "the competition". But in the end you can ask whatever you want but the higher the price, the longer you have yo be willing to wait. The more you can say about the specimen, where it was found and how, the story if you will, can make a big difference.

That one looks like an easy $500 or $600 to me but just winging it. Beautiful specimen! Let's see what others think.

When ever you have something unique start high, don't get desperate, and the perspective buyers will give you the final price.

And by the way that is unique. Some are most valuable in the personal collection. Sell the ordinary nuggets.

• Like 1

Thanks guys...  I doubt I will create my own web site to sell nuggets. But your info gives me the ballpark that I was looking for.  I know several people that have sites and stores that do buy nuggets for re-sale.  Now I have to decide what is the fair price for them, in-which keeps us happy, while leaving them room to make a profit as well.  The gentleman that helped me with the final clean up will get first dibs, but I believe it is worth more than what was offered because it is unique.  I might just have to buy her split of the nugget as I too believe the most value is in the personal collection.

I have been told that all the specimens I have are really gold in color and unique.  I got lucky as most of them were encased in rock and if not, they didn't travel far.  Thanks again...