Garrett ATX Ground Noise Question

E_Lee

I was detecting over the weekend with my Garrett ATX near Redding.  The ground was moist and was mostly a reddish-orange clay like soil from the decomposed shale bedrock I am assuming.  When I moved away from the creek bottom (gravels and bedrock) and went up on the hillside or in tributary gulches I would encounter soil areas that made the detector constantly give a target signal or what I would say is a mineralized ground wine or squeal.  I tried ground balancing several times, but it did not alleviate the problem.  Ended up shutting down the machine and relocating, basically starting over in a new area where I could maintain a normal threshold sound.  I have used the machine for about a year and this has happened a couple times, but it happens infrequently.  The first time it happened I had a low battery and figured it may have been a symptom of a low battery.  Any ideas, similar experiences, and/or tips using the ATX would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

i have never had the issue are describing with either of my two ATX detectors, and that includes four weeks of daily in saltwater use getting banged around in the surf. The machine may have some kind of intermittent problem and those are the worst kind. I would certainly contact Garrett and ask if they have had any reports of anything similar.

Tons of info here on the ATX at

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/garrett-atx-pulse-induction-metal-detector.htm

and

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/tags/garrett atx/

• Like 1

Thanks Steve.  I'll check out those links and see if I can get anywhere.  It seems like it is super sensitive to highly mineralized soil.  This is a bummer because I would think those are the types of locations where you have a good chance of finding some gold.  Thanks again.

Try turning it off and back on while still at the hot dirt.  Ground balance again, then try it.  Might also want to try a factory reset, page 21 of the owners manual:

Factory Reset

All changes made to the ATX settings are saved when the unit is switched OFF. To return all settings back to Factory values, press and hold the RETUNE/ PINPOINT button while switching unit ON.

ATX FACTORY/DEFAULT SETTINGS

Mode: Motion
Discrimination: Zero discrimination (1st LED)
Sensitivity: 10
Threshold: 7
Volume: 10
Ground Balance: Neutral
Ground Track: OFF

• Like 1

Thanks Steve K.  I will try both of those.  Great ideas.  Much appreciated.