Nokta New Relic Detector

The Fores Relic looks like a real winner. I mostly relic hunt with the CoRe and it excels at it. Nokta added a bunch of great features to the Relic that should make it the "Dream Machine". Can't wait to swing this one.

Dean

Here are a few goodies from my last hunt with the CoRe in very trashy ground... Old gold watch and some large caliber rim fire cases were the finds of the day.

Nokta rocks!

IMG_0598.JPG.8afd7831b495492f8042fcbe996

On 3/4/2016 at 10:16 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

Obviously Nokta picked up on the 19 khz FORS Gold Plus getting great reviews from relic hunters. Now we have a 19 kHz machine aimed directly at the relic hunter, as opposed to 15 kHz on the FORS CoRe.

The iron range on the Nokta FORS Relic is 0-20 ferrous and 21-99 as non ferrous so a change from previous FORS models, which are 0-40 ferrous. Conductive Ground mode is same as on FORS CoRe - a saltwater or alkali flat mode.

Yes, the Nokta and Makro Detector folks really do listen, participate in monitoring various Forums, and take action where they feel it is needed or desired by avid consumers.  ALL of the Makro Racer and Nokta FORS models have been designed to be very versatile, and really seem to go above and beyond what we have had to pick from amongst competitors

One prime example is the Makro Gold Racer operating in the Low Frequency range at 56 kHz AND featuring TWO motion-based Discriminate modes and not simply an All Metal mode for Gold Nugget Hunting.  Up 'til the Gold Racer release we hadn't seen that from any major manufacturer in a LF nugget use detector.

The Gold Racer CAN be used with success for some Relic Hunting applications, but the other Racer/FORS models tend to be better.  I have been Relic Hunting since mid-'69 and took to the FORS CoRe immediately and the original Racer complemented it, and both have worked well and rewarded me at many old, iron littered sites.  Then along came the FORS Gold + operating at 19 kHz and the way it performed was very, very good.

The Gold + became my main-use detector for Relic Hunting as well as being able to do what it was designed for, and that is looking for gold nuggets.  I still toted my CoRe along because 1. it works well, and 2. it has the more processed Di3 (3-Tone) mode that does come in handy for certain dense iron nail areas.  The bulk of my Relic Hunting I still prefer a 2-Tone operation, and the Gold + works that way, but I was wishing it had a 3-Tone option.

Keith and I worked with a prototype that was very close to offering us some of the enhancements which we both agree were excellent complements to the Gold + and working at a desired 19 kHz, and a 2nd revised housing had all the engineering tweaks necessary to make a really serious, dedicated RELIC based detector!

The Low-Tone and High-Tone in the four 2-Tone modes was 'fixed' to be similar to the CoRe at a Tone setting of '5', and that sounded excellent.  The Di2/2-Tone mode became an excellent main-use search mode because it behaved very similar to the Gold + and unmasking targets in iron sites is terrific!

The adjustment features allow further enhancement of performance based on the operators personal desires because it has the benefit of adjustable Tone Break, to separate the lower/high break point in all the 2-Tone modes, and an Iron Volume adjustment so you can tame the Volume or Loudness of the low-tone Iron range targets.  They added a Di3/3-Tone mode that's not on the Gold +, and also two additional 2-Tone modes, Swift and Deep, for use in certain applications where they might provide an advantage.

Better still, they made a change in the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous Target ID break than the original 15 kHz CoRe and 19 kHz Gold +.  Those models have the '00' to '40' range for Ferrous targets and Non-Ferrous are stuffed in the '41' to '99 TID numeric range.  The new Makro Racer 2 has that iron/Non-Iron TID break set at '10' so you can get a broader range to help visually classify potential targets.  This is going to be appreciated by both Coin Hunters and Jewelry Hunters.

The new FORS Relic sort of compromises with a '00' to '20' range for Iron targets and the Non-Ferrous targets still have an ample range to break down their general numeric identity, but there are so many different sizes and shapes and alloy mixtures in all the desired relics that you can't really be too exacting.  The '20' Target ID break is a nice change from the CoRe and Gold + and adds to what makes the new Relic such an excellent all-around Relic Hunting performer!

As for the COG mode, also referred to as a Beach mode on some models like the Racer's, it can come in handy at times when dealing with wet alkaline desert soils.  Not always needed, but there for those times when it can be put to good use.

The new FORS Relic has to be one of the best detectors, especially since it is a 2-Coil standard package, for a really serious Relic Hunter.  It is my #1 all purpose detector, with the Racer 2 and Gold + riding together as my 2nd pick back-ups where desired.  A model that can still work for the Coin and Jewelry Hunter or the Gold Nugget Hunter, but is really a great 19 kHz, feature-set and performance based detector for the Relic Hunting enthusiast.

Monte

• Like 3

Thanks for the commentary Monte, looks like a great unit!

The problem for many is with so many models that are so similar it does get to be a bit confusing.

The reality now in my opinion is that mid frequency (12-19 kHz) VLF is old technology fairly well perfected at this point. What that means is anybody now in college studying electronics can easily make one. They are just not that complicated. That also means just about any offering from any decent company will have performance pretty close to all the others. I feel reasonably confident I can grab any of these detectors and do well with them. The only real difference as far as I am concerned is things like weight and balance, the control layout, the audio quality and options, etc.

Long story short when I look at the FORS Gold+ and FORS Relic I see two machines that have been differentiated more by marketing realities than by capability. Which one to get for nugget detecting? Well, the simple answer is FORS Gold+ but that is all that is - a simple answer.

The FORS Gold+ from a nugget hunting perspective offers the 10" x 5.5" closed DD as stock and the FORS Relic the 11" x 7" open DD. The FORS Gold+ as far as I know offers iSAT in all metal and the FORS Relic does not, but I could be wrong on that as no manual has yet been posted, and perhaps that feature simply has not been referenced as regards the FORS Relic yet.

The FORS Relic has the COG (Salt) mode and DI3 three tone mode, both which go missing on the FORS Gold+

iSAT is nice but not a must have for me. So it kind of comes down to the choice of stock coil and whether the COG and DI3 modes are of interest. I think that a case can be made as much for the Nokta FORS Relic as for the FORS Gold+ as a nugget detector given that both sport the same retail price. It would just depend on the individual user and their exact desires in a detector as to which might be the better choice overall. Bottom line is the FORS Gold+ is also a very good relic detector and I have no doubt the FORS Relic is also a very good gold nugget detector.

Just to add to the confusion!

• Like 2

I guess ive owned a few fors relics before. I have a huge assortment of great coins and relics while detecting gold. some really rare finds too. ill have to show some pics someday. only problem with relics to me  most people find bullet casings and rusty junk and feel this is treasure.  how much money does bullets and rusty spoons bring at an auction anyway.. to me the best relic is Gold. its alot older and is prettier. it is always harder to find as well. so when you find it there is a great sense of accomplishment.

Good luck

• Like 4

The FG+ and The FR and are very Similar..

And that was one of the things during testing that we were concerned about..

its a FG+ and at first did not have a lot of Identity ...BUT after some tweaks..I honestly feel the FR can stand alone as a unit with its own Identity..A relic identity..and believe me it is hard to outdo the FG+ in my eyes..But Alper worked off the challenge...Yes he more or less was Challenged  in an email to Keep the whole FG+ DNA but push it harder...and low and behold He did it..

What I see from my Proto is More power across the Board conductivity wise over the FG+ ..((There's a reason it's hotter on High conductors than a FG+ but that's another story))..

We also have the Variable tone Break and it does offer  better unmasking..

And I want to say something and I hate to mention it because I wanted to see other's maybe notice it but I think maybe it should be mentioned...the actual Iron Volume is more than just Volume.. its also a Audio processor of sorts especially below 3 it clips and compresses and turns the iron tone into a Tick.and I dare say it unmask better..the Non ferrous tone is still full gusto but the iron tone is Tick sounding..I love it...Couple with a small coil and compare side by side with anything on the market and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised using low iron volume and exact tone break ...

I truly feel Alper is the magic behind the units we are appreciating as of late....he's doing things inside the programming  that truly is noticeable....not just moving settings around like on a DEUS like more reactivity and such but actual Parameters throughout the unit is adjusted for the outcome to be More unmasking...He knows when he changes something here he has to go change something somewhere else..Hes a 3 year employee and I feel if he stays with detector design we may see a true revolution taking place..

There's nothing wrong with the FG+ especially for the Gold Guys/Relic hunters BUT as Much as I love the FG+ I REQUIRE a FR as of now..

I see enough Deep inside the programming to make me REQUIRE it for my needs..

Good astute questioning Steve!

Keith

• Like 4

Keith, can you answer Steve's question, "does the FR have iSat in all metal?"

Thanks