That's a much better photo, it more clearly looks yellow but not metallic. Much higher certainty that its NOT gold.

I've attached a couple pictures of actual gold. Look at the metallic luster of the two nuggets. Yours, even though it looks like you wetted it, is dull and earthy looking - not like a metal at all.

Second, consider the density - A nugget that size would weigh 10 pounds or more and would be one of the largest nuggets found int he last century in the USA. I would guess your piece probably weighs maybe a pound or two - not 10+.

Test it yourself with a hammer. break off a small chunk and hit the chunk hard with a hammer. It will shatter and break. Gold mashes down as its very easily bendable and malleable.

My guess is that what you have is Limonite, an iron oxide - basically natural rust.

gold04.jpg

gold15.jpg

• Like 3

Sulfur?

That appears to be a bit of simi-massive quartz and chalcedony.  The yellowing could be due to iron but its more butter scotch to my view so the yellow could be due to sulfates something else.  Its a silicate.  All thats yellow is not gold.

• Like 1