Minelab Gpx4500 Backpackable Mods

HI just wondering if anyone as ever attempted to take a minelab GPX  Series metal detector OFF of the shaft and mount it to a backpack frame? i havnt been able to find any images of a modified gpx......Does anybody know if minelab makes extension cables for the ground balance button? or who might be able to make one? Also does Nugget finder have extension cables available for their coils  to make it longer?  Thanks ahead of time...... just wondering if its doable....appreciate any input or recommendations! Cheers IG

Yes, it can be done but I have not seen it done. I messed around with the idea of making a chest mount once, and back then Coiltek made extension cables for the coils. I have an extension for DD coils and mono coils (apparently they are different) but never got around to using them. I will dig them out and sell them in case anyone wants to give it a go.

I've seen several "chest mount" rigs. 

Yes to the coil extension cables, no to the GB button wire. (VTEK may)

The units becomes just as fatiguing to operate with the loss of the counter weight of the control box. 

Also the coil cable swinging loose, in proximity to the coil (along with the control box) is problematic for obvious reasons.

My choice is to use a upper two piece travel shaft and a light wight battery system. And of course a HipStick.

Cables: http://www.vkteksolutions.com/

• Like 3

Kinda on your note Steve.  Extension leads for coils in PI's can be problematic as they upset the calibration due to length of the overall line : ie coil windings plus lead length.  One can see this ratio if you compair say a Joey coil to a 20 inch coil... the leads are much longer on a Joey compaired to a 20 inch.  Been done, extension leads, and they work.  Problem 2 is flexing of the lead lines.  This creates an inherent "jostling" of the lead and flexure also changes internal characteristics of the leads values... this will create faulsing as well as degradation over time.  Its one reason why you dont see mods that seperate the box form the stem in PI detectors.  Just does not work out well.  The leads like a stable platform and you can only get so far away from the coil before it becomes a net zero gain.

• Like 2

All Great Responses! Thank You!

Coil cable extensions are used in Australia when used to construct drag coils for use behind ATVs.  From the Coiltek website http://www.coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/faq/#q9

"Can I get an extension lead for my coil?

Yes, we can make an extension lead for almost any coil. There are certain lengths which limit performance and for DD or Anti-Interference (A.I.) coils there is a link which needs to be removed from the coil plug for the extension cable to work efficiently. The diagram for the link remove modification will be supplied upon request when purchasing an extension cable. Maximum lengths suggested are:

DD or A.I. CABLE – 4 metres (total length including existing cable length)

MONO CABLE – 10 metres (total length including existing cable length)

NOTE: at the maximum suggested length there potentially can be some performance loss due to resistance in length of cable."

• Like 3

Steve I will get that mono cable extension from you,,,, whenever you find it, LMK Thank You! OR BOTH!