If you asked me about buttons two years ago I would have probably smiled and walked away.  Put a Metal detector in anybodies hand (especially a Deus) and you dig lots of buttons...and  If you take metal detecting seriously (like I now have) you are forced to take a good look at them. I am privileged to know people that own or have rights to big tracts of land. So when a client of mine told me last week of a place on his fathers property that was and old homestead I could not wait to go there. All that remains of the place is a small depression in the ground probably about 5 foot in diameter. This they tell me was the cellar. There is nothing else to indicate that this was once somebodies house. It's back in the sticks and has never seen a detector.The old man (now in his eighties) that took me up there is a walking book of local history. His fathers father bought the property from a Frenchman that was married to a Miwok  Indian.  So while the old man sat in his side by side and told story after story  I turned on the XP Deus......and the place came alive with iron sounds.  My first target was a wedding band marked W.L & Co The gold plating on the outside  was worn down to the silver lining....which made me appreciate how easy we have it in our day and age. I detected there about 20 min and found the first button and several other targets ....but the old man had other ideas and wanted to show me another spot down the road which turned out to be a bust. I spent the next hour driving around with the old man in his Polaris while he told story after story...my only regret was not having a tape recorder as my memory has never been that great. I asked if I could come back and he said yes.... so yesterday In the pouring down rain I hiked up a very steep hill and detected for about 3 hours unhindered...and had a Blast.   

strick

20160305_083957 (Medium).jpg

20160304_175230 (Medium).jpg

• Like 7

Wow, great story and cool finds from the past and some of those old buttons can be pretty valuable. I'll bet the old guy has a few more stories waiting for you, you need to put a detector in his hands so you can hunt more undistracted when he's around.

• Like 1

Nice Infaltry buttons! That ring is very cool too. Gotta love the Deus in that enviroment...eagerly anticipating the new eliptical coil. Btw. I'll get hold of ya soon...got couple spots want ya to run that Z machine over.

• Like 1

Great story and finds. I live on a large ranch and have acess to other ranches in the area as well as lots of BLM ground. My greatest treasures are the old objects that define our history. I try to imagine the hardship that the old settlers endured. I sell nothing and my daughter is my cureator.

• Like 2

Cool horse tack.  Have not found any I *infantry* buttons yet but I keep hoping.  Always a pleasure to pick up a ring though the loss may be different in the past.  Excellent hunt.

• Like 1

Yup, those old relics can be worth some dough ! Very nice finds......love relics...but stuck on gold these days.....but the ole relic bug keeps on whispering to me.... :) If you get any eagle buttons with the d dragoons are pretty rare make sure you don't toss em...

• Like 1

Thanks fellas! I'll be heading back there once the cattle graze down the grass a little bit. In some places it was 2 feet tall. I'm putting something together for the old man right now. 

Ray- the Z needs to get out of the closet more often give me a ring and well hook up!

strick

• Like 1