Makro Gold Racer In The Field

Hi all, 

Just a bit of a video I put together reviewing the Gold Racer. Got a couple more coming.

• Like 8

Thanks John, 

Just uploaded the next video where I tweak the iSat and Sensitivity for best response, and a bit on threshold at the end. 

• Like 3

Nenad, That is a great Video when you moved the isat up to 22 the signal seemed sharper than when it was at 21 with the lower gain setting and yet when you had it set to 22 you had the gain higher on 75 ? , I am really liking this machine and those tones are to die for, they sound much better than the bubble bee sound I am use hearing and that bit of shot was found quite deep for a vlf in Aussie dirt, Thanks for posting another great Video, I am going spend the day trying to track down one of the Racer's, I really like what I am seeing.

Thanks again and keep em coming and Great work.

john.

EDIT:- I found one £499.00 ( happy days ) now all I have to do is pay for it,

• Like 1

iSat is 1-10, I think you were getting confused with Threshold at the end. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhaseTech said:

iSat is 1-10, I think you were getting confused with Threshold at the end. 

Yes sorry I meant the threshold was set to 22, and with the iSAT set to 6 and 75 on the Gain it was Rock solid,

Oh and I have managed to find one over here, so I will sort that in the near future, Thanks again Nenad, that was inspiring.

john

Good decision John, I think you will be happy.

I have not been as noisy as one might expect over the Gold Racer given the fact that I think it is just a superb metal detector. It is pretty much what I wanted White's to do with the GMT but unlike White's Makro does listen, and in the most amazing fashion. And just to let you know, the Gold Racer is working out far better in parks than even I thought it would. I was very, very cautious talking about it as being anything more than a prospecting detector as I did not want people getting it thinking it is something it is not. It is really too hot for normal relic hunting but does have some niche uses there. Only so so for depth on high conductor coins. But as a park hunter for screwdriver based jewelry and coin hunting it is truly superb. I suspect it will be excellent for UK detecting also for the same reason - not so much for depth but for killer response on low conductors most machines call ferrous. Tiny cut coins, Celtic gold, etc. should all be top notch targets for the Gold Racer. It has superb rolling audio that along with the high frequency makes identifying normally troublesome targets like bottle caps a breeze.

I know you like your GMT John but there is no way I would trade a Gold Racer for a GMT. I will be very interested in hearing how it shakes out for you on those two machines. Oh, by the way, if something on the Gold Racer turns out to need improving, you can suggest it and if enough other people do also - it might actually happen. Hard to imagine a company that not only listens, but acts. Welcome to a whole new world.

Since you like the audio, here are the "secret settings":

Audio Boost This feature is not included in the settings on screen. The audio boost switch boosts the sound of weak signals received from small or deep targets making it easier for you to detect those uncertain targets. It is recommended that audio boost should be used on a temporary or as-needed basis because it will not only boost the target signal audio but it will also boost the loudness of ground noise and false signals along with the threshold hum. For an instant audio boost, push and hold the (-) button during searching. To exit, just release the button. If you want to use the audio boost constantly, double click the minus (-) button . The frame around the ALL METAL MODE text will start blinking indicating that the audio boost is active. To exit, double click the (-) button again. NOTE: When you want to use the Audio Boost function, be sure that you are not in the settings menu and the selection frame is around the ALL METAL MODE text.

Audio Tone This feature is not included in the settings on screen. It is the setting which allows you to change the target warning tone and the threshold sound according to your preference. There are 2 audio frequencies available - low tone (LF) and high tone (HF). To change the audio tone, keeping the trigger pulled back, press the down button.

"Big" tip - the big 15" x 13" DD is pure magic on the Gold Racer. Total surprise to me, and if I went hunting trashy tailing piles for big gold tomorrow it would be with a Gold Racer and that big coil.

makro-gold-racer-with-15x13-dd-coil-2.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Steve, I noticed when Nenad had the threshold set to 21 and the gain to I think it was 71 the signal was softer sounding and when he changed the to 22 and 77 the machine sounded tight and more positive even though he was in medium high soil he could actually increase the gain while still maintaining a good threshold where as if I was using my machine I would have to raise the ISat  (S.A.T) speed which then cost me depth which would take away any depth advantage from raising the gain and when you consider that he was running the gain at around 3/4s of the way up the machine suffered very little from EMI or a warbling threshold and the moment he hit the boost button the signal was loud and clear but still managing to keep the ground noise in the back ground as an 80/20 mix where as on my machine it is close to 60/40 which is bordering on wanting to pick up a lower kHz machine and that is defeating the objective of what the goals are,

Threshold/pitch of the machine is such that a person can work all day where as when you take the head phones off that you do not suffer from that swirling sea shell sound that the harsh threshold of my machines cause by have them set even just a fraction to high and it does not take much to make that happen, The tone of the Racer's threshold is liken to that of the GP3500 being smooth Bell like and although the threshold and the signal are both very smooth there is a big difference and they are very easy to tell apart even at such high setting in that type of soil and again the boost was just enough to make them louder without letting the ground noise over riding the sound of the target, and again we have all the virtues of the Makro screen allowing a person to know exactly where they are at any given time, That in its self makes for a more enjoyable time,

With these kind of improvements on offer in what is a very stayed market, I think in less than 2 years Makro will be replacing one of the top four and to be honest this is the machine I have been searching for, while the others are good this one has what we have been missing, and if this is the shape of things to come then I can see this one and the Racer 2 on the horizon for me because with the thought and effort that has gone in to these two models they just put all other in the shade.

john

Haha Steve busted, I know you haven't watched my videos, as the Audio Boost and Tone are both explained in there :biggrin:

• Like 1

Good videos "Nenad" keep them coming information on settings etc and tips for coin hunting and gold nugget hunting are most welcome for anyone who has a Makro Gold Racer.

• Like 1