Makro Racer 2 Display & Controls - Best Ever?

1 hour ago, Jackpine said:

Tom Dankowski just posted test notes on the Racer 2 over on his forum and stated that Id accuracy on in the clear targets is good to almost maximum depth.  Now that's in his Florida soil.  Co-located ID's are what you would expect with any VLF detector.

Yeah, well, I am going to start a whole thread about Toms forum and all those &$%#&!! Florida depth numbers. 10 inch plus dimes - in my dreams! :smile:

Depth here in Reno for all the best units and good id is 3-4 inches. Goes downhill rapidly after that, with most all non-ferrous targets reading ferrous at 5-6 inches. Fe3O4 meters are one bar shy of max and actually max out in some areas depending on the coil.

It is not the machines it is the soil. People on the west coast see the east coast posts and think their machines are defective. If it is clean peat topsoil I see better depths, but in this dry country a lot of park areas and such are little more than grass on sand and gravel.

Magnetite does weird stuff. Small aluminum like beavertails like to jump way high into the dime plus range.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

Steve didn't you once use the MXT in two weeks of solid rain back in the day ??

john

All kinds of machines, including Minelab PIs. Hang a bread bag over the control box open end facing down, good to go weeks on end. Something like the Racer I would just put a sandwich bag over the pod, open end down. The air flow is critical.

The MXT I did not even bother with that. You can get water in the MXT pod and nothing will happen.

• Like 1

Steve I know the Racer shows only the numbers but every video has never shown that. Along the top of the face it shows the possibility with the ID number of what the target is. I keep asking the same thing and that's show me what the detector shows on the screen. This at the same time the detector sounds off. Just show me what each coin reads and I'll be happy. If a dime just say it shows a coin and the ID number is 79. I'll take them at their word if they don't show the screen. Over time I will learn what each number may be give are take unseen factors. 

Chuck

52 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yeah, well, I am going to start a whole thread about Toms forum and all those &$%#&!! Florida depth numbers. 10 inch plus dimes - in my dreams! :smile:

Depth here in Reno for all the best units and good id is 3-4 inches. Goes downhill rapidly after that, with most all non-ferrous targets reading ferrous at 5-6 inches. Fe3O4 meters are one bar shy of max and actually max out in some areas depending on the coil.

It is not the machines it is the soil. People on the west coast see the east coast posts and think their machines are defective. If it is clean peat topsoil I see better depths, but in this dry country a lot of park areas and such are little more than grass on sand and gravel.

Magnetite does weird stuff. Small aluminum like beavertails like to jump way high into the dime plus range.

Sorry to hear that on your coin depths Steve.  But you do have gold nuggets out there and I'm jealous of that,.

Typically 8-9" on a dime here, after that it's a struggle.  Beaches a little deeper.  I have detected around Wickenburg a few times, and 100+ year old stuff is just lying around on top. lol

Tom

• Like 1

Well, I am still not doing videos so hopefully somebody else can help you out with that. If you look in the diagram up top the number 88 corresponds to a little bullet that points at a place on the decal where there are some coin symbols. But those are just very, very rough references.

makro-racer-2-target-id-vdi-chart.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Jackpine said:

Sorry to hear that on your coin depths Steve.  But you do have gold nuggets out there and I'm jealous of that,.

Typically 8-9" on a dime here, after that it's a struggle.  Beaches a little deeper.  I have detected around Wickenburg a few times, and 100+ year old stuff is just lying around on top. lol

Tom

Tom, it actually it is a good thing! There are plenty of coins still to be found here since detectors get no real depth. Everybody using discrimination have basically been skimming the surface. I am still experimenting but am doing best using my ATX or hunting with VLFs in all metal and going after nice round targets.

Most people are using larger coils also which kills the target id - sees too much ground. I am doing best with 5-6" coils.

Now you know why I go kind of nuts on air tests. They may have rough relevance in milder soils but tell me exactly zero about what a machine will do in the ground here.

I keep the rain cover on when have the detector is in the supplied Makro backpack. Just to keep the screen from getting scratched. So yes I think it created a mini greenhouse. When I went to use the detector, the temperature was getting warmer. So it the moisture built up inside the display.

Every machine before I ever use it I put a screen protector on I have from some old Kindle non-touch screen units. They are much thicker than the ones used on touchscreen devices. Keeps the screen itself looking new, and reduces the new for the pod cover.

Just put the detector someplace warm and dry, no worries. In Alaska we used to have whole sets of detectors leaning around the oil stove every night.

Friends detecting Alaska style....

metal-detecting-in-the-rain.jpg

• Like 2