Garrett Searcher March 2016 And A Very Important Lesson In Metal Detecting

Here is the latest copy of the Garrett Searcher - basically a compilation of recent finds by Garrett users. It is always interesting to see all the amazing stuff from all over the world being found with metal detectors.

I would encourage everyone to look at it and pay attention to the number of great finds made with the Garrett Ace 250. This is a nice little detector sold for $212 and considered a low end moderate performer. Yet many fabulous finds are made with it, including even a gold nugget now and then.

There is an extremely important lesson here and one that drives my basic philosophy of detecting. There is of course a focus on high performance detectors, but I very much believe it is all about the operator. It is about putting yourself on good ground and mostly about lots of hours. Even relatively inexpensive detectors with moderate performance can deliver tremendous results in the right hands. To have fun and enjoy success in metal detecting does not require a top end detector or a huge outlay of money. People are making finds every day that prove that. Food for thought.

Here are a few nugget hunting excerpts:

garrett-searcher-1.jpg

garrett-searcher-2.jpg

garrett-searcher-3.jpg

• Like 6

I don't know but at one time I got the Garrett Searcher every time it came out. I always enjoyed seeing all the great finds people made.

It has been a while from my last buy from them. That could be the reason. What can I say but that's life.

Chuck

Most important :)  Operator, Operator, Operator. Location, location, locaton. Does not matter if your operating a 10$g unit or a craigs list 20$ one. Just the operator. The location and how much grit you got to dig on it.  Most informative Steve.

Steve, your really making me enjoy the nonstop rain that we got going on alllllll weekend, thats keeping me from searching for those pretty yellow rocks. I'm really starting to not like El Nino. do you got any good gold detecting videos you made that we can watch. I seen everybody elses. lol

Very true Steve. Believe Ive said this before here, but I detect with an old timer...Nevada Brian knows him well too (Jerry). Dude is a wizard with a detector. And what he uses isnt exactly new, state of the art...GP Extreme, GMT , and a 6000. Been out hiking/detecting with him and his gmt looking for nuggets, but stumbling on old camps, so focus on relics...dont need to tell you, but relic hunting a nail infested site with a gmt is no easy task...but he knows that machine like the back of his hand, and Ive seen him pull some fantastic finds. Gotta know your machine, and have good places to hunt.

• Like 3

So true.....location, location and perseverance. Few weeks ago dug out a 5.5 gram nugget with my Tesoro silver U max....used disc and dug good signals only. First 15 minutes of the hunt.... 

DeathRay,

Yup....reminds me of a local boy here in my area...still uses the old Vsat Whites goldmaster....and finds loads of gold.....he knows it like his own appendages.

• 2 months later...

The best ring I've found was with my Compadre...

2013-12-11 22.40.25.jpg

• Like 4