VDI Number Range On Tin ?

Many of the top brand detecting manufacturers offering vdi number displays to narrow down the identification of various targets. Those vdi numbers or specific target identity  numbers allow us decide weather or not we choose to dig that specific target. Has anyone found the best way to identify tin from other non ferrous targets? In my experience with disc modes primarily using the mxt I recall most iron targets will grunt and give you a negative number. Non ferrous....copper, brass , gold , a low to med number and silver up in the high 80's. I find tin to be the most troublesome of all metals, it's pretty easy to eliminate most iron targets such as nails, small wires and other odd ferrous objects in disc modes when hunting gold, but pieces of tin. I am just wondering which detector out their today would give us the best tin target id...

Ahhh yes, tin is a pain in the arse. On both deus and gb pro/f19, I find as far as vdi, if numbers change much while turning 90 degrees, its tin. But audio tells better story. Often the tin will sound ragged at edge of detection, rather than good, clean tone. And/or size aint right. The worst though, are those small, coin size pieces. I still dig a majority of the hits I get that Im pretty sure will be tin, especially when using a pick , at least while I have the energy.

• Like 2

Yes they are a pain, the target sound of tin can be ragged...but dang I have had sounds I thought were for sure tin...and I dug it out and it ended up a nice shallow nugget. Just the other day...I was diggin trash all day and was ready to call it done and I got the same old loud and obnoxious in your face tin sound and as I struck my pick into the red dirt at first swing out came out a thumbnail leaf gold piece!! I think I am going to experiment with the vdi numbers and some tin and see where it locks in or hovers around compared to other non ferrous targets. It is not a sure thing... but when I get tired at the end of day..may switch to " do I dig or not that maybe tin target.