ATX Coil False Signals

RKC

G'day,

Has anyone here used the new Garrett ATX in areas of thick vegetation? What I need to know is ... will the coil sound off when hitting rocks or trees, or grass. In particular, can it be used without the distraction of added blanking noise while being run through wet grass?

Reading the specifications of the new ATX it seems as if it was designed as a dream machine specifically for New Zealand (where I am located). And, as such ... seems too good to be true.

The only deal-killer might be if it can't be used in thick wet vegetation! Oh ... theres also the other possible deal-killer, the price in New Zealand. I noticed on one forum that an Australian poster stated that the price he was quoted for an ATX was over $1,000.00 dearer than the USA. I would not be at all surprised if the retail price in New Zealand was the most expensive in the world. The legit Garrett dealer in New Zealand has no mention of the ATX on its web site so far ... and something else for Kiwis to consider is that we will probably be the last country in the world to get a first shipment. 

post-1-0-98785500-1416768284_thumb.jpg

Historical photo from about 10 years ago when detecting for gold started to get serious on NZs West Coast after some spectacular gold finds were made with a metal detector (Minelab PI MD) that haven't been surpassed since.

post-1-0-36581900-1416768286_thumb.jpg

Typical West Coast gold country!

Regards,
Rob (RKC)

Hi Rob,

Great to see you here - thanks for joining!

As my review at http://www.detectorprospector.com/steves-mining-journal/gold-nugget-detecting-with-garrett-atx.htm the stock ATX coil does false when knocked or rolled on rocks, but not consistently. Enough though I tried to avoid hitting stuff with it. It never falsed once hitting bushes or stubble that I recall, but of course this was dry desert stuff. I do not think soft knocks will do it. My theory is it is sharper knocks causing cable motion. The coil is epoxy filled so should be impervious to falsing so I do not see what it could be but something farther up the line.

The ATX probably is a very good detector for New Zealand. There sure is a lot of the place that reminds me of Alaska.

• Like 1