How I Got Poison Oak , Video

Nice! The reale and powder flask are awesome. It blows my mind you guys are pulling coins that old out of the ground - I've found many cool relics but nothing in the 1800's for coins yet.

• Like 1

Really fantastic finds Ray!  I have yet to find a coin, but I will keep searching.

I was exploring for gold around the Grass Valley area with a goldhound and we misjudged the time it would take us to return to our car as it was approaching dusk.  So we took a short cut.  Bad idea, the short cut put us, on our hands and knees and sometimes bellies because the manaznita was so thick.  Well before we knew it, it was now dark and I was unable to see the field of PO that I was crawling through.  Two days later, I was getting a shot in the butt!  Night hunting/exploring/hiking adds a whole new element, especially when your not prepared. 

I'm prepared now :)

• Like 1

I about screamed when I saw you guys using a toothbrush on an OLD silver coin in the video !!!

Major league NO NO .A toothbrush will leave micro fine scratches on a silver or gold coin and RUIN its collectors value.I learnt this the hard way . sold a quarter for 25 bucks to my coin dealer who told me it would have been 50 bucks IF I had not rubbed it to see the date.Rubbing a silver coin also leaves micro scratches on it ( like using sandpaper )which a coin collector will see right away with his loupe. My dealer told me another local guy brought in a 1916 D dime in poor condition BUT he also rubbed it to see the date.Value plunged from $500 to $50......my dealer told me to always look at the edge of a silver coin 1st thing. If the reeding on the edge is sharply defined, pocket the coin in tissue paper and do NOT rub it. soak in olive oil or soapy water at home instead.

Hey now no bust on the cleaning :) You dont know what you have in the bucket till you rub it flat out.  Seriously just pulling up the turf! WOW KUDOS :wub::ph34r: Dont think I would have advertised that in a Heart Beat!  We "scavengers* dont know the least about cool finds. Hahh. *reference to scavengers is related to an achie's paper about detectorists... might find it in another forum ;)*

So where's the poison?

• Like 1

cool video.

TVANWHO, we are all well aware of that. Just pulling a silver coin out the ground puts scratches on it. Most Reales are not very valuable, far as I know. Me personally, Im prone to stick that sucker in my mouth, give it spit bath,lol. Good for the immune system. Anyway, Marks coin.

• Like 1