Gold Detecting Around Sumpter Oregon, What To Bring?

Hi Roughwater, gold bug may not be a bad choice there also,i havent hunted that specific area but 20 miles from there is where we go occasionally.    There is a lot of iron fragments from the years past just about anywhere in that vicinity.    Oh yea there are wolf packs in the area,and cougar,we will be heading to general area after several feet of snow melts, have fun.

I went there last October and I was hoping to find my first Oregon nugget.but hunting came first.... The dredge is a must see, and stop in at the gift shack where a very knowledgeable and friendly  lady  {i can't recall her name]can give you some advise on what areas you might be able to detect on…. there are miles of tailing piles that have given up some large gold that passed through the dredge ,but most is ground there is private or claimed…..north of Sumpter there are deposits of placer glacial gold . most gold is very small in that area.. finally stop by the local real-estate office on the main drag and pick up their flyer and look at claims and mines for sale . with permission from the agent  you may be able to sample some ground as part of your due diligence.. 

good luck

Ok let's not get too carried away. Wolves and cougars and black bears are in the neiborhood but you will most certainly not see one. As far as the terrain, I would not call it overly mountainous. There are certain mountain ranges nearby that are much steeper. Coming from the east coast you may disagree with what I call steep or mild. I agree with others, you should check out the gold dredge in Sumpter and the bank in Baker. (I don't know the name either). The weather should be sunny and dry but thunder storms are possible any time. Temps in the 75-85 range is about normal. You should enjoy the area it is a beautiful place.