GPZ High Yield Vs General Vs Extra Deep

The GPZ documentation states that General mode punches deeper and Extra Deep punches even deeper than High Yield mode. I've hammered a patch in High Yield and today will switch to General mode and regrid, and will repeat in Extra Deep.

Has anyone out there had success with this, and if so, are the deeper targets more defined in these 2 deeper modes, any tricks to listen for?

Or are these deeper modes only for larger nuggets, will the 2 modes punch deeper for smaller nuggets too?

Have found General over High Yield gives a more positive signal when in deeper ground on pieces about 8grams and above, have not tried extra deep enough to be sure. But as always varying ground conditions probably make this a loose "rule". Try this, next time you dig a small piece out switch from HY to General to locate as a test, result may surprise you.

• Like 1

Norvic, thanks for the tip, I will try that.

In HYield mode I hear slight warbles, that most times turn into hot ground or rocks and sometimes gold. Where I hunt there is a lot of smaller gold with larger nuggets here and there. I've found all the shallow gold. But the deeper gold is what I'm after now. Sometimes I will dig a whisper and it turns out to be a deeper nugget. I'm hoping the General will help to better define those deeper nuggets. 

Schiara, I was led to believe that the " extra" does not actually punch deeper, but is used to combat " masking "in severe mineralization . Red rocks and ironstone are your nemesis .⛏

Hope this helps, have fun.

Chris

Schiara, That little trip of using general to help locate a small piece dug out is a tip I picked up from Dale of the Goldhounds. He mentioned it in one of his posts, but I rarely use it now as have developed a technique of using the front top of coil to dump handful with suspected little piece in, then easily locate piece by moving finger around, squawks loudly when you move the piece.  This actually is a old technique from the VLF days.

• Like 1

If you carry alot of metal on you, me I've glasses, switch over to manual GB to make life easier chasing down little nuggets on top of the coil.  Nugget scoops are nice *never used one till the Zed* but dinks can be problematic.  As Norvic says its an old technique.  As to Deep~ used it a bit and my partner and I tested un-dug targets~ it works but mellows out signals quite a bit.  Did some search last year in that mode but only got a few bits, fairly shallow and in HY or Gen range, but its greatest use was while things were drying out after rains or in really harsh soils.  Norivics test is an eye opener between HY and Gen.  HY can, and often does, give complex signals *I call it a treblling like wire* on odd shaped and large bits shallow, say a foot or so, and Gen will often smooth it out.  But Gen will also treble on large stuff.  My biggest bits last year were found in Gen at 18 and a bit over 36 inches in depth.  The shallower, 10gr, trebled while the larger 1oz bit deeper gave a long inverted signal. Gen wont miss to much little stuff either.

• Like 1