How Many Of These Have You Dug Over The Years?

I always question weather or not to remove an artifact from it's resting place. If I leave it the next guy will take it and if I take it, it has less meaning than if left in it's historical setting but it can be shared with others.

I found three axe eye pick heads and an octagon crow bar in a pile one day. I bragged to everyone that I found "three pickers and a solid gold bar" - No one believed me---again. 

• Like 1

G'day,

Unearthing relics when detecting is nearly as much fun as getting the yellow from the ground.

Picks are commonly found here in New Zealand (Godzone). I got this one in among some tailings in Otago a few years back ... which I left in place. 

dq2wYV.jpg

One mine on NZs West Coast has this collection of old timers picks ...

ZKHqjy.jpg

YBRTgG.jpg

And the mine also has these ...

Ajc4iU.jpg

Regards,

Rob (RKC)

• Like 7

On 2016-3-25 at 3:43 AM, LipCa said:

Bob, if all could talk, what a book they could write...

G'day LipCa,

But ... uncovered relic's can talk, and can often tell you a lot of what may turn out to be very useful! 

q6sbbt.png

A couple of years back I uncover this when detecting one perfect summers day in Godzone. It was fully buried and well out of sight, but only had a couple of inches of dirt over it. What it told me was that there was the high probability there was a smelter close by. And after digging around I found some fire bricks which confirmed for me that the area was used by the old timers for smelting gold. 

9iL0He.png

This was an interesting find from another area. It was not buried but was placed at the base of a tree, easily seen. Its obviously a bolt from a gold stamper battery which attaches the iron part of the battery to its solid wooden base. But the baffling part is that I found it at least a kilometre from where  the closest battery had operated. That was a find that did not tell me anything much ... but was interesting nevertheless.

aEsadk.png

Battery part.

6bD2wa.png

iizgZW.jpg

Bottles are always interesting to uncover.

Regards,

Rob (RKC)

• Like 2

G'day,

ZL7omc.png

Nails, and a gadd (a small rock wedge or chisel ) used for working a quartz vein.

5Dl4KR.png

y6uvJ6.jpg

Battery parts.

a4h6FP.jpg

Tools used in hard rock mining.

Regards,

Rob (RKC)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have found about 5 of thee in the year even a cool double sided one ,and I have also refurbish a few of them cleaning them up sharpening them and still using them to this day. A reason i think they discarded them and threw them away is probably the handles broke on them or they just lost them .

In the USA if you're on Federal public land (such as BLM or National Forest) you're better off leaving them there.  A fine, equipment confiscation (or possibly worse) isn't worth the risk, IMO.