The Holy Grail Of Park Hunting ?

Rick,

Thank you.

Mitchel

Blind squirrel detecting, perfect. If one were looking for the perfect niche detector to do that and only that, what would it be? It is of course an exercise in aluminum foil detecting, but hunting fine jewelry is that anyway, especially if one wants to hunt down those small diamond earrings and chains. No free lunch, but an area to explore. As beaches and water become so often hunted to death it would be a welcome alternative. What a lovely thread, thanks so much for this.

On 4/12/2016 at 1:00 PM, argyle said:

One thing I should have mentioned, is that this guy '53Silver (apologies for not remembering his name ) has made some really nice clear crisp detecting clips with Tesoro's and MXT's and Minelabs and popped them on YouTube many moons ago, that give really nice information out regarding the units he's using. So kudos to him, as they can really help someone that hasn't used, or is struggling to get the best out of a certain detector.

A lot of guys here detect private farm land, State owned land called Crown land, inland river banks and picnic spots along those, and a lot of this ground can and does correspond with British pasture. Without the dreaded 'coke' of course.

Pre-decimal coinage along with British and American coins are a favorite.

Did Trident have a unit corresponding to the Golden... Rick/John?

Jewelery I simply do not get very much of, maybe five rings a year off park land. And even a fat mens wedding band isn't worth the trouble as the sale value is low compared to the time spent hunting our main coins.

But I do target golf courses and inland river banks for coins and jewelery and my count on rings and bracelets ect. jumps dramatically here.

Sad about Tesoro, really is. They weren't even interested in improving the HOT line of units. 

Sorry mate for the late Answer, Are you talking about the Tesoro Golden Sabre ??

If so here's a bit of a report on it, Over here the Tejon  was one of the more popular models but the Silver uMax all be it a simple machines had some sneaking little tricks up it's sleeve, I saw a guy do something that I would not have believed if I had not seen it,

But anyway here's a bit on The Tesoro Golden Sabre,,,, John

Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SLGuin said:

Blind squirrel detecting, perfect. If one were looking for the perfect niche detector to do that and only that, what would it be? It is of course an exercise in aluminum foil detecting, but hunting fine jewelry is that anyway, especially if one wants to hunt down those small diamond earrings and chains. No free lunch, but an area to explore. As beaches and water become so often hunted to death it would be a welcome alternative. What a lovely thread, thanks so much for this.

There are many options because depth is not all that important, at least not to me. This is not an endorsement or even a suggestion per se, but right now I am having a ball with the Makro Gold Racer hitting the parks and tot lots. The 56 kHz frequency makes it just scream on gold range targets while actually being a bit softer on high conductive targets. The VCO audio produces this high pitched squeak on shallow gold range targets that just stops me in my tracks. It is superb on micro jewelry, gives the Gold Bug 2 a run for the money but with the addition of target I'd. But yes, I am mostly digging aluminum and a pile of loose change so far with it.

• Like 3

Steve,

Thank you so much for weighing in. That is exactly the detector I was thinking based on other things I have read. I am also reading up on other possible used cost effective options to try.

This would not be my first gold detector. I had one years ago for trying the idea of small gold hunting, but gave it up quickly for the tiny foil digging at depth drove me crazy and it hit on everything. I have no idea which it was anymore, but there was no screen to give any indication of id or depth, and machines have come a long way in the 10 years since.

I just love this idea for some reason. Got to come up with a lighter machine and a larger coil for this to cover more ground though. I wore myself out trying this with the CTX today.

@tvanwho,micro jewellery when talking in the detecting context is usually describing say earrings or ultra fine gold chains that type of thing,basically the finished small gold items that are man made,but micro gold i think is what most folks could describe ultra small gold in its natural state as it comes out the ground like small nuggets etc.

In the UK we dont have any gold fields but we of course do have some very old gold coins and jewellery that we do occasionally come across which is of course our holy grail of targets.

I could be of course reading it wrong but that is how i understand it micro jewellery and micro gold,and notice we also spell jewellery different to you folks across the pond :biggrin: we also have alot of aluminium cans that we also spell differently :smile: