How To Grow Your Own Garrett Carrott

That was of course put up on YouTube by Regtons on April Fools day :wink: still a good sense of humour :biggrin:

Where can I get some of those seeds?  

• Like 1

Oh Steve

So much hidden something coming from Garrett and White's I'm at a lost for words. Call it what you want but I do like it.

Chuck 

Well in all fairness this was from a dealer, not Garrett.

The goal these days is to get name brand recognition. To do that you need to get your name in front of eyeballs. To do that, you need to create a video that might go "viral".

Nice, solid, informative videos - the kind I prefer - do not go far outside their intended audience. This new trend to cute, fun videos is an attempt to get into a wider audience.

Here is my type of video - clear, well done, heavy on useful information, and about 50,000 views

Now here is a best example of a video with no useful information, just pure entertainment. Many old school types scoffed at this one. Except..... 1.8 million views

A lot of money went into making that second video, and Minelab no doubt considers it money well spent.

Anyway, that is why we are seeing more banana videos and detectors playing songs - people are trying to create things that will get picked up and repeated as much as possible, with sole goal of putting company name in eyeballs and minds. Informative videos like the AT instructional video will never get outside a more limited viewing group.

I know what you say is true and I sit here with a straight face watching it. I have the TRX but not the waterproof one to go with my waterproof MX Sport That's life!

The others both put a smile on my face and I like that. The thing is when I pick up my detector I'm like Superman I've become all business. If i'm going to play I'll stay home. One old boy that did go with me some time back dredging stop going with me because I didn't want to sit around playing cards.

Time has got to me some but I still give it all I got.

Chuck

Steve has it nailed. There are 2 different groups of people to hit - insiders and outsiders.

All the insiders really need is a product that works well, is well-supported, and vouched for by the community. They like "nuts and bolts" videos from what I've seen - INFORMATION. They share these videos with other insiders. It's a tight-knit community with limited reach. This forum is a good example. 

Outsiders may not be involved with detecting at all. Or they may be interested in the hobby, have an older detector they don't use much, etc. The goal is to make them insiders. And something that catches their interest - ENTERTAINMENT - may tip the scale in favor of them getting involved with the hobby. 

The MX Sport World video does 2 things - it's entertaining, but also showcases the MX Sport's abilities. An insider might think it's "cute" and share it to a friend, who hopefully gets a spark of interest in the hobby. But there's also some "information" embedded in it - recovery speed, tone id, target separation.

We could have spent "Minelab money" on a techno music video, but that's not really our style. And you guys (the insiders) would likely call BS on something with that much fluff. So the aim is to stay true to our roots - genuine, real, sincere. To make you guys proud to swing a White's metal detector.

FWIW I love that carrot video... Cheeky!

In the MXS tune video, it would seem more appropriate at this time to spend those much needed funds on maybe some more talented programmers in order to get past this recent adventure. Then their loyal users could be creating their own tunes. 

1 hour ago, bowwinkles said:

In the MXS tune video, it would seem more appropriate at this time to spend those much needed funds on maybe some more talented programmers in order to get past this recent adventure. Then their loyal users could be creating their own tunes. 

Sometimes people make mistakes. What matters is how you fix them.

But feel free to send us your resume - http://www.whiteselectronics.com/about-us/jobs

• Like 1