Prospecting Mode With Firmware Upgrade

Guest Paul (Ca)

Guest Paul (Ca)

Spent about three hours the past couple days before work at a local dry river, using prospecting mode because mineralization is a bit touchy with the black sand.

What I've noticed is the Firmware upgrade helped with stability over version 1, can operate with less SAT and auctally was a joy to use and that's with the 10" coil. What surprised me, when stitching to the smaller elliptical DD the 10" coil had more stability. Quite the opposite, but started to think of my conversion with Tyler at White's this firmware upgrade I received may be the reasoning. 

So next week, my MX Sport goes back to White's for the correct filmware.

The MX Sport Ground balances between 83 & 85 at this particular dry river, it's the black sand that creates masking even top VLF suffer with depth, poor sensitivity and falsing. A real tough type of hunting, especially for detectorist not familiar with mineralization.

Pi's are the better choice, but only a few VLF can operate decent here and these are VLF in all metal. MXT, GMT, AT-Gold to name a few, the MX Sport does a great job with prospecting mode. So I'm looking so forward to getting my MX Sport back with the correct firmware and see how the smaller coil operates.

Also, this is great what I've noticed is SAT operates like it should in prospecting mode, only use what you need. Otherwise, too much SAT you'll loose depth and sensitivity.  However, In Relic mode don't be afraid to maximize SAT in extreamly trashy areas especially in iron laced sites. Pushing SAT in Relic mode will not hurt depth, and auctally helps you with a snappier tone.

Also, Chuck had mentioned air testing between his version 1 MX Sport and now his Firmware upgrade that his first unit air tested deeper. This is true, so did my first model with air testing but at a park my second version detected a coin garden with the same depth as the first. That was refreshing to see, appears the upgrade didn't hurt depth from my test bed.

Pictured below, are 3 hours of digs at the dry river. One pile of coins, one of them a silver Rosie. One vintage ring, several Pistol balls, etc. And a pile of trash, along with a pic of the dry river.

The area dates back to 1858, Butterfield stage went through here about 200 yards to the west. A neat place to detect or have a family picnic.

Thanks for looking,

Paul

IMG_20160417_125034.jpg

IMG_20160417_124722.jpg

IMG_20160417_125007.jpg

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thanks David,

A buddy and I have been hitting this dry river the past 5 weeks, already pulled out 13 silver coins and two 14k rings.

My buddy, he's got me on gold he's already scored 8 gold rings the pass 5 weeks, of course he hunts more but I've got him on the silver coins.

Thanks again,

Paul

great finds paul. keep posting

but ok, is seems that my mx sport is going on holiday to scotland, this week,

only the rumour is white,s scotland does not have the stuff to update the firmware,

so i think they will send me an new one. 

but iff im correct. we have the firmware 1.0 with the false  snearing, then we have firmware 2.0 that you have paul, and now is comming software 3,0?

Paul

this is something you may not know. the Butterfield Stage at first used horses to pull the stage. Later they went to mules and the reason was the Indians like to eat horse meat but not mule. One old Indian Chief told a stage stop he was going to kill them all if they didn't start using horses again. This came out of a book I had on the Butterfield Stage lines.

Chuck  

• Like 1

Paul

If you will please look at your repair invoice and see if it shows what update you got. All it shows on the one I got it says Parts= repair-test  Rev= 000   Description=test & inspection of repair

Not this is telling me anything other than the Tech is TM 

Chuck

My paperwork was similar. No revision number or clues as to what was done. Probably the same with all of them.

I have deactivated Paul's account at his request. He may read stuff but can't respond via the forum any longer.

I believe he can still be found on the Findmall forums.

That's too bad, I was trying to learn some things from paul. I hope he changes his mind, after all it's just a metal detector. But thanks paul for your informative posts. 

Whites need to seriously think about applying a sticker onto the MXS to indicate whether it has been upgraded or not, and what what specific version is loaded, just as Garrett did in Oz with the Infinium upgrades several years ago.  If manageable, maybe sticker in the battery compartment would suffice.  It will save a lot of confusion for both new and second hand buyers when trying to identify which firmware package is loaded onto the detector, plus negate the requirement to contact Whites directly for matching of serial numbers.

No doubt a paper receipt from the tech dept. will be easily lost or misplaced, not that it appears to hold much useful info for the owner/customer on the actual firmware version.