Gold Quartz Ore With Sulfides

Hard prospector

Some time back I had a friend that had a claim above Rich Hill. Maybe not all the gold and quartz had it but a lot of it had lead sulfide. What I found around his claim just had quartz with the gold. The old boy found himself a blow out with lots of gold. It was nothing but good for him.

Chuck 

• Like 1

Steve in Idaho posted this recently on another thread-  " I also hunt old mine tailing piles and those with sulfides mask the gold, unless it is large pieces. I have used a VLF detector and a PI detector on both types of piles. "

• Thanks 1

The problem I have with them is that all the piles I know with heavy sulfide mineralization also lack large nuggety gold. So it can be difficult because the gold size requires something like a GB2 but these machines also hit on the sulfides like they are a nice mellow gold target.

Difficulty can be further compounded when they are copper sulfides, for me at least, because chalcopyrite looks a lot more like gold than just about any other mineral out there, and when you are eyeballing teeny tiny stuff all day, hitting hundreds of these chunks of ore, its easy to get it confused and frustrated.

I love detecting NV ore piles because often they are just white quartz and a little hematite so the gold is easy to ID right away.

• Like 2